Author Topic: diy polytunnel?  (Read 42814 times)

simmo116

• Acre
Re: diy polytunnel?
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2009, 16:57:21 »
I think it looks great. I was wondering whether to do a smaller version using
those cheap garden rose arches.  How will you attach the polythene to the arches?  ???
im not using polythene goining to use corugated pvc. bit more sturdy.
Simmo

looks great. I am looking to do something very similar.  Where did you get the blue pipe and how much was required?

Psi
the pipe was salvaged from work had been sitting on top of container for years. and i welded the posts with metal out the scap bin. the ony thing ive purchased so far is the pvc and the batton. coming to about.80 quid.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2009, 19:09:47 »
i was just about to ask how you were going to get the corrugated plastic to bend then i figured it out ::) :-[

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2009, 22:47:49 »
Hey, that corrugated plastic should work great. How do you join it together then?

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2009, 18:36:09 »

Hey, that corrugated plastic should work great. How do you join it together then?
i plan to overlap then screw thru to mdpe.
 council rang yesterday. i have to reduce the size. well at least the height. i cant realy reduce floor sise as i've cemented in the ground anchours.. will just have to suck it and see.

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2009, 11:07:57 »
do you need rawl plugs to screw into the pipe?

worldor

• Half Acre
  • A Black Country girl
    • City Chickens
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2009, 15:40:08 »
just remove a foot or two of one side of the blue tubing and that will reduce the height. We have built two similar tunnels but with green netting covers. A wider floor space would be better for any future attempts. We found the wider tunnel more sturdy and wind resistant too. The taller they are the more they wave about in the wind and eventually break. What is the height of the centre?

worldor

• Half Acre
  • A Black Country girl
    • City Chickens
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2009, 15:43:32 »
Just one more point we found that the netting was better as it allowed the wind to dissipate and you can always put some polythene about two feet along the sides for extra protection. Also it allows the rain to get in and saves watering so much. good luck with it.

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2009, 11:02:55 »
reduced height center to two meters. now have to reduce length to 8 foot. am quite peved off about it had to go to b and q last night and exchange 10 foot pannels for 8 foots. have to dig up footings this morning and re concrete to new sise. im sure that if nothing was said nobody would have had a problem. people stickin there nose in as usual.jobs worths.
 >:(

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2009, 16:23:14 »
here is almost finished resised tunnel

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2009, 09:54:45 »
it's looking really good simmo.;)
You couldn't make it up!

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2009, 12:49:47 »
How you getting on Simmo?  Any progress?

Did you have to use rawl plugs to screw into the blue pipe by the way?

Le-y

• Acre
  • Growing children and food in Norfolk
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2009, 12:59:09 »
Thats fab, i'd love to try my hand at making one wonder how it turned out
First time allotment holder, second time mum.

gto2210

• Not So New ...
  • My Family
    • Gallery Twenty One
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2009, 06:32:19 »
Hi,
interested in your project, as I also am looking to do this sort of thing, I like the idea of water pipes, this has made  me re think my ideas! Now re the corrugated pvc sheets you mentioned, these are not flexible lengthways, only width wise, so how are you planning to take these over the top?
Nigel P Crick
Photographer and Digital artist

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2009, 09:20:41 »
ground to a halt at the moment. as dont have materials to close the ends up. rang a man out the paper last night and am going to look at some pollycarbanate sheets later on. so hopefully ill have it finished before the real bad weather comes.
Now re the corrugated pvc sheets you mentioned, these are not flexible lengthways, only width wise, so how are you planning to take these over the top?

i plan to but up polltcarbanate sheet and fill with foam.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2009, 22:41:03 »
I put corrugated PVC on my shed roof 4 years ago and it started cracking in 2 years - complete waste of money.

It may be that I'm in London - more sunlight more pollution - or maybe I got the wrong stuff - but it wasn't cheap (well it was from Homebase so no surprise there).

People say 'you get what you pay for' - but sorry - it's nonsense - I get ripped off daily.

If you're a pedant like me you'll agree a more useful maxim is 'you don't get what you don't pay for'.

I would have been much better off investing in polycarbonate - the stuff installed on my sunroom in 1987 is still tough and flexible - just a bit yellow though it lost its gloss years ago and needs regular cleaning.

The only problem is where I don't need twinwall and one will do - for some unknown reason single sheets of polycarbonate are very expensive - must be an economics of scale thing.

I did try splitting twinwall - it can be done and produces a much more cost-effective cover than perspex or corrugated PVC but it's tricky to do and no matter how carefully you do it you end up with ridges on the inside that might become difficult to clean. It's also surprisingly floppy and needs some support every metre or so.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

aggie

• Half Acre
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2009, 08:45:54 »
Simmo have you any photo's of the finished poly tunnel ? would love to see the finished article.

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2009, 09:24:11 »
still not finished im afraid. just picked up some old bus svelter p/c sheets to close the ends up now am just waiting on a nice day to get crackin. still after some wood to build the door. havent seen any yet.i also still have a green house to build but need some blocks to make the base. the skips by me are all drying up lol

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2010, 15:46:19 »
finaly got the cover on!!!!

just got to figur out the door now. lol

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2010, 17:21:27 »
Looks great.

For the door you could just use 2x2 or 1x1 with a cross section and screw some of the plastic corrigated stuff to it.

Neil

james1

• Half Acre
  • Huyton
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2010, 17:33:47 »
Well done  8)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal