Author Topic: Design Ideas Requested  (Read 1211 times)

raisedbedted

• Hectare
Design Ideas Requested
« on: August 11, 2009, 16:18:21 »
Hello everyone.

I'm looking for planting ideas fo an area in my garden. 

There is a Hawthorn hedge around 50 feet long which sits on top of a bank which is approx 4 feet high and 8 feet wide, including a 3 feet wide flat section at the top.  The slope of the bank faces North.
I dont think the soil will be particularly fertile as it is made from the spoil from the pool. 

Ideally I would like to plant it up as a long herbaceous border but am concerned that putting taller plants at the back would make them tower in the air given the bank height but placing smaller plants at the back would just look odd.  Alternatively planting the whole bank in drifts of prairie type plants such as Rudbeckias, Pyrethrums etc.

Has anyone got any ideas - the bank has to stay and also some tall plants would be good to give privacy to the pool - was thinking maybe Clematis Viticella's up some posts.

Even better - does anyone know of any gardens with a similar area that I could go and have a look at for inspiration,

Thanks for any advice,
rbt

Best laid plans and all that

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Design Ideas Requested
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 19:24:54 »
It sounds a bit like a Cornish hedge. That's basically an earth bank faced with stone, often with a hedge planted along the top. It may well dry out somewhat in summer. I'd suggest mostly shorter flowers, with some taller ones for contrast. Foxgloves would probably thrive, along with hardy Geraniums.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 19:26:33 by Robert_Brenchley »

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 17:08:34 »
Yes I agree with Robert...i wouldn't go for prairie planting if it faces north as the plants you mention like the sun.

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 17:28:49 »
id recomend a display of Calafornian poppies self seeding so will have to keep an eye after flowering but they last for ages great display of oranges and pinks easy to take care of them selves great ground cover .
all the people go pass mine allways comment on how pretty they look .
meant to add grow about 30cm tall and then lean over a little but the flower stems put on a lovely display
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 17:30:23 by daileg »

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 20:43:55 »
As an after thought, Why not get some wild flower seeds and scatter them along the length of the hedge. Then all you can do is sit back and watch the wildlife come back to the garden big time.
There are plenty of mixtures out there to choose from. There is two benefits from this one is the wildlife of course and the other is that you can cover a lagre area for not much money and enjoy what shows through.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal