Author Topic: Any one NOT suffered from tomato blight?  (Read 11908 times)

J-Me

Re: Any one NOT suffered from tomato blight?
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2009, 15:36:41 »
I've grown mine outside against a south facing wall this year and they've done better than ever. However blightwatch have kindly informed me (and have for a few weeks now) that blight has been detected in the East Kent area and according to the maps is the worst hit part of the south east.
Despite this my plants are fine - I have the odd leaf that looks like its being threatened by blight and have for a couple of weeks but apart from that they are healthy.

My outdoor weatherstation has been reporting a relative humidity of no higher than 40% for the past fortnight (usually about 25% during the day) and its rained once in almost 3 weeks so I can only presume this is why! Fingers crossed as I've just started picking the cherry tomatoes and the larger varities (Moneymaker & Golden Sunrise I think) have just started turning.

luckydog

• Half Acre
  • Montgomeryshire
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2009, 16:09:31 »
No blight again in Mid Wales either.   :)

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2009, 10:34:40 »
I've been cutting off any suspect leaves as usual, but last week I had to remove several trusses of 'Tom Thumb' that had succombed to the dreaded malady. The last few days has seen the start of blight on the stems of my outside toms (mainly Costuluto) so I can't see them ripening on the vine now. In the greenhouse it's now a race to see if the toms ripen or the blight gets them first. Nothing like excitement!

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2009, 12:37:38 »
Blight arrived on our site (Sunningdale Berks) around 20th August. Several people have lost their tomato crops already.

Potatoes that are still actively growing are also showing signs.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2009, 12:46:01 »
The spuds are all in and the bulk of the tomatoes are harvested-all clear in West Deeping.

Some rain would be nice though

non-stick

• Half Acre
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2009, 13:13:39 »
My plums (ooer) are showing signs of blight. Shame as we looked to be getting a useful crop. This may well be the last year of outdoor toms as they always seem to succumb. Took the worst leaves off but may have to remove toms and see if I can ripen them on the window-sill.

Spuds had tops removed as a precaution

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2009, 14:43:32 »
Spuds all hit about 6 weeks ago, only the Sarpo surviving. Strangely though, none of the toms are affected as yet.... ???
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2009, 14:50:37 »
I've just defoliated my outdoor toms. The only bits left on are the trusses and assiciated stem. I ain't afraid of no blight!  :o. I only grew early spuds this year and they all seem to have survived OK.

royforster

• Not So New ...
  • Gardening in SW France
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2009, 16:13:15 »
I lost most of my tomatoes to blight in the past 2 years. This year, following advice I found online, I watered them with a brew made from nettles soaked in a bin for 2 weeks and then diluted 1:10. Great crop and no blight. However, I'm in France and we've had a better summer than in the previous 2 years.
Roy

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2009, 00:45:10 »
I've fed my tom plants on a mix of ovipoo and nettle tea ( as I always do) and I still got blight this year!  :(

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2009, 10:38:04 »
Defoliation seems to have worked with my toms. Continuing to harvest the crop as 'normal' (whats normal for tomato growing?). Only a few individual fruits have been lost completely to blight. Fruits have even been good enough to eat raw with salads etc. Seems as if we will get a decent crop after all.

That said i dont know what the current weather will do to them. After the wind and rain tonight they are forecasting a damp humid night which might encourage the blight a bit.

Whils the toms have only been slightly hit the maincrop spuds have got it bad, once lush haulms have been wiped out within days. Crop should be OK though, as i grow my potatoes through weed membrane, which i think helps stop the spores reaching the tubers. Fingers crossed!

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2009, 15:57:39 »
??? whats ovipoo ???

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2009, 22:26:34 »
??? whats ovipoo ???

Equipoo is oss muck
Bovipoo is cow muck
ovipoo is sheep muck
canipoo.. you don't want to use that !  ;D

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2009, 22:39:49 »
??? whats ovipoo ???

Equipoo is oss muck
Bovipoo is cow muck
ovipoo is sheep muck

thanks for clearing that one up for  me :)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2009, 15:11:30 »
??? whats ovipoo ???

Equipoo is oss muck
Bovipoo is cow muck
ovipoo is sheep muck

Very good ;-) Not heard of that before.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2009, 18:53:43 »
Has anyone tried humipoo?

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2009, 10:45:43 »

You have GOT to be joking! No need for translation to know what THAT is.

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2009, 11:49:53 »

You have GOT to be joking! No need for translation to know what THAT is.

;D

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2009, 12:10:29 »
Defoliation seems to have worked with my toms. Continuing to harvest the crop as 'normal' (whats normal for tomato growing?). Only a few individual fruits have been lost completely to blight. Fruits have even been good enough to eat raw with salads etc. Seems as if we will get a decent crop after all.

That said i dont know what the current weather will do to them. After the wind and rain tonight they are forecasting a damp humid night which might encourage the blight a bit.

Whils the toms have only been slightly hit the maincrop spuds have got it bad, once lush haulms have been wiped out within days. Crop should be OK though, as i grow my potatoes through weed membrane, which i think helps stop the spores reaching the tubers. Fingers crossed!

Did you take off ALL the leaves or just the brown ones?
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2009, 12:26:14 »

Did you take off ALL the leaves or just the brown ones?

grannieannie i also defoliate and only remove the brown leaves or ones with suspected starting blight spots on them. also remove the low leaves which might get splashed with rain or when I'm watering the plants.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal