Author Topic: Any one NOT suffered from tomato blight?  (Read 11858 times)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Re: Any one NOT suffered from tomato blight?
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2009, 22:59:58 »
Last year for the first time I grew some toms outdoors (as well as in the greenhouse) lost the outdoor ones to blight, indoor ones were fine. I have just stuck to indoor ones this year,, so far so good.
Really sorry to hear how some of our members have suffered.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2009, 09:58:37 »
Sorry to hear about everyones losses. So far mine in my garden are fine, but not many people round here grow them at home. On the plot my spuds are still ok, but I know some people have lost all their outdoor toms on the plots

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2009, 10:05:37 »
Not grown any outdors on the plot this year, last year they got hit quite early...

The ones in the greenhouse are still going although they are sulking at bit at the mo. The plot above mine has lovely outdoors ones growing that seem to be unaffected for the minute.

However, the outdoors ones in my garden look as though they might be succumbing :-\
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

cheerfulness

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2009, 10:15:59 »
So far here I haven't got any blight but I remember too vividly last year when I lost the lot so I'm making a careful inspection each morning.

All my toms this year are either in the greenhouse or right up against the house wall south facing where they get maximum protection. (except from the sweltering sun we've had. )

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2009, 11:05:10 »
mine seem to be ok at the moment outside in containers. the only problem seems to be a lack of ripening. they are very slow. or i am very impatient. its a race against time i think as i am sure we will succumb to blight before too much longer. the spuds in bags seem ok too. fingers crossed.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2009, 11:27:58 »
Previous two summers I've been hit by this time, but the twenty or so outside in the garden and the three up at the allotment are so far OK - touching wood as I write.

charlie888

• Not So New ...
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2009, 12:26:09 »
I've not been hit yet in Leeds but then I'm growing in my small back garden surrounded by people who only seem to be growing weeds and concrete.... although in saying that I still had to harvest them early last year after being hit late on in the summer but then last summer wasn't really a summer, more of a monsoon!

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2009, 12:39:12 »
not so far in plymouth,but the plants are in my back garden,however i have been hit really bad for the two previous summers,my mates allotment has been wiped out though. Keeping fingers crossed.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2009, 13:30:05 »
The ones in the garden are bad. (Odd that - I didn't grow any there last year, and haven't had blight there for about 10 or 12 years,)

The allotment ones have got it, but it's "on hold" at the moment. I sprayed them last month, so that obviously helped. And yesterday, I did a mass defoliation, then sprayed again.

Interestingly, Ferline - which is supposed to be resistant - is one of the worst affected. Black Russian's the worst, so I've pulled them up, but so far the tomatoes seem OK.

Pomona

• Not So New ...
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2009, 13:51:14 »
 :( Had to pull out all of my sun baby plants at the weekend. First time I've ever had blight, but no doubt not the last.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2009, 14:19:57 »
From what I can make out, the disease is often concentrated on allotment sites, when there's no blight some distance away. I'm convinced it's overwintering on the sites, which implies that it's almost certainly surviving in potato volunteers. Once it breaks out on a site, proximity dooms everything.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2009, 16:31:30 »
I've not been hit yet in Leeds

Hello to Leeds-I used to have plots around headingley.

My avatar still shows the days when I had clay soil and we had snow!!

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2009, 16:36:04 »
I am still free of it but it is on the site!  I have my tomatoes in the tunnel so am using the debris netting to stop it being too windy and blowing some spores in!  Doubt that it will work for long so am picking fruit like mad at the mo!

O B

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2009, 16:40:47 »
I am picking the ones that are going a bit red and putting them on a window ledge, how to the farmers grow them, in greenhouses I presume, as it is really depressing as just as they are going red they seem to go brown and die. Lost one plant at the allotment yesterday so I expect the others will succombe.  Bit bonfires needed.  Nick never waters his so will ask him if his are OK, perhaps I have overwatered mine.

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2009, 16:51:19 »
I didn't plant any toms on the plot this year. Don't see the point as I will probably loose them all to blight. Ours in the greenhouse at home are going strong!

Just picked these today:

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2009, 17:03:24 »

Wonder what the  ' distance ' is to  get infected from another sorce ?

Been here 3yrs, had blite the last two years of growing toms, and have an allotment site

a 1/4 of a mile away,           ???
Hertfordshire,   south east England

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2009, 19:07:21 »
No signs here in Enfield in my back garden under a canopy, I've had no blight alerts sent to me but my next plot neighbour has a lot of his plants affected.
My spud greenery has died back so I think my spuds will be OK.
 ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2009, 19:59:04 »
The ones in my makeshift shelter are OK, but the outdoor Cuare De Bue and Moneymaker are a rotting mess. The outdoor cherry tomato (no idea what type) seems to be quite resistant, though most of the skins have split and they dont taste great! (or maybe thats just my imagination..)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2009, 20:12:46 »
My outdoor cherry baskets are fighting it quite well... got some in the greenhouse today... under the roof vent!!  :-[

lightyears

• Quarter Acre
    • Holmesphotographic
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2009, 16:11:02 »
my indoor variety are ok at the moment, but my outdoors got something, not blight though.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal