Author Topic: Are my squash ready yet?  (Read 1355 times)

twinkletoes

• Hectare
Are my squash ready yet?
« on: August 10, 2009, 15:08:16 »
Same old question  ;D    I have Red Kuri and Baby Blue Hubbard.  Both "look" ready but are they?  The Red Kuri is very deep orange and Baby Blue is a mottle greeny blue colour.  The Musque de Provence are not ready yet (I don't think) - they are a very deep racing car green (for some reason I thought they would be orangy?)  ::)
twinkletoes

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Are my squash ready yet?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 15:23:11 »
I've had some Kuri so yes probably. The   Musque isn't and will go orange at the end of the season or in store...  :)

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 15:28:27 »
Oh I am sooooo excited now - I'll be grabbing a RK this evening now.  Can hardly wait to see the MdeP - got some crackers.   ;D ;D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 15:46:21 »
Is the red kuri a summer or winter squash?
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 15:50:53 »
i thought it was winter ???

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 17:17:27 »
Ok so I am growing both red kuri and baby blue hubbard squashes.They are winter squashes and mine wont be ready until around the end of September or October. You are lucky if yours are ready now !!

Duke:)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 17:19:54 »
Thank goodness thats been settled. There was me thinking I was going to have to eat the bloomin things now. Can just about get the courgettes down our gullets. ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 17:21:39 »
Squash should be stored for a couple of weeks before you cook them as this gives the natural sugars a chance to  enhance the flavour if consumed before this the taste will not be as good

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 22:05:03 »
In June I had a Red Kuri and a Buttercup which each produced just one fruit. Then came rainy July and since then - even with hand pollinating - no more have grown. Those two, however, are ripe and are now 'curing' in my porch. I also have three butternut plants which - with help - are only now starting to produce fruit. All the rainy weather has left me with a very poor showing this year and I'm not sure if the butternuts will have long enough to ripen on the plants. The Red Kuri and the Buttecup plants are looking very sorry for themselves, so I think I'll pull them out - I'm sure they won't produce any more now.

Tricia

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 22:08:05 »
So did I but it was a good orange, hard skin, wasn't swelling so I ate it...  :-X

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 07:13:56 »
Mornin' all.   ;D  Well, you lot have got me right confused now   ::)  So, I plucked a Baby Blue and a couple of Red Kuri last night.  One of the RKs could have been left but the other was a beautiful deep orange and sounded and felt hollow.  So, they are now sitting on the window ledge to go through "the cure".   So how long should I leave them daileg?   I have been very lucky - I have loads of RKs and quite a few BBH.  And am positively overrun with Musque de Provence  ::) ::) (probably too many plants in eh? ;D).  The butternuts always seem to start of slowly - nothing but male flowers but once they take off.... so got quite a few of those too (my favourites - yummy).  Don't know what happened to the Sweet Dumpling though.  All I need to do now is find the Valentine Warner recipes for the RK and BBH squashes.
twinkletoes

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal