Author Topic: unexpected damson tree  (Read 9513 times)

sunnyb

• Not So New ...
unexpected damson tree
« on: August 09, 2009, 12:57:53 »
Hi

We have a damson tree growing at the edge of our lawn. It is full of fruit this year and its trunk is approx 10cm diameter. (4 inches in old money).

So far so good, I love fruit trees - even trespassing ones! Unfortunately, where it has set up is next to our retaining wall (which is part of the church wall dating back to norman times) and I'm concerned that if we let it get bigger it's roots will be a problem and I don't want to find myself liable for the church wall stones collapsing into the road.

Any idea how far damson roots will spread please, or can we move the tree or is there a way of restricting its growth and preventing any spread of the roots??

I'd love to keep the tree, but we will have to dig it out if it is going to damage the wall. 

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: unexpected damson tree
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 18:12:24 »
If the wall's been there since Norman times, it's unlikely to be brought down by a mere damson tree! What's the soil like? Tree roots can cause subsidence under specific circumstances, where the tree is taking water out of clay, which shrinks as a result. Somehow, we've now got to a sorry situation where people think trees = subsidence. It ain't so.

sunnyb

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 17:24:33 »
LOL, you could be right about the wall, but the parish council will not be happy if anything happens to it during my watch!

The soil is quite clay-ey, but it wasn't that I was really worried about. I don't know whether damson tree roots spread out or not and if there is a chance that as the tree grows it will push the stones in the wall out.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 09:52:54 »
Trees don't normally do that, only under specific circumstances if it's actually growing out of the wall, or the trunk is pushing into it.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 10:29:52 »
If it's a self-seeded tree, it's likely to be a relatively vigorous tree as it's not on a restricted root stock.

Tree roots generally extend a little beyond the area of the canopy, but the roots at the boundary are the smaller roots.

Clay soils can be a problem with tree roots.  In long dry periods the roots draw all the available moisture from the soil which can cause shrinkage and subsidence of structures.

How tall is the tree and how far away from the wall is it?

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 13:49:57 »
I have a damson tree and it sends out loads of suckers everywhere. The tree's about 20' tall I'd say, and the suckers appear up to 10' away from the trunk so the roots must extend at least that far.  No walls nearby so I can't say how they'd be affected, but i don't think (could be wrong) that damsons get that huge.

From what I've read a lot does depend on your soil type - if clay and the water gets sucked out, it will contract. But if the wall's been there for 800 years or so it must have seen many trees and tree roots come and go so hopefully nothing to worry about.

I have loads of damsons this year too after nothing for the last 2 years - bring on the jam/crumble/gin!!  8)

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 16:45:13 »
pardon me for going a little off topic bu when is the right time to harvest damsons, there are lots of wild ones around here and I'm not sure when i should take advantage of this free fruit.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 19:12:06 »
Around late September-October. You'll know because they'll drop off the tree really easily when they're ready.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 19:35:38 »
We have several 25' damsons on our site...  :-\

lushy86

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 19:49:25 »
I've got a big one on my plot, its too big for my little plot really but I'm looking forward to the fruit  :)

Lushy x
Make mine a large one!

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 22:41:35 »
Around late September-October. You'll know because they'll drop off the tree really easily when they're ready.

thanks Robert, i've marked it on the calender :)

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 19:43:25 »
My damsons have been falling off for the last few weeks - I've got bags of the sodding things! :)
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 15:54:36 »
Mine are ready now - I picked 10lb yesterday and those were just the ones I could reach from the ground  :o :o

Things seem to be ripening early this year - I already have some raspberries and they're not usually good to go until September.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 17:26:35 »
Just spoke to lady down the road at a local 'plum event' who has a plum orchard with damsons. She said her's were looking like they would be ready in about 2 weeks if the warm weather continued.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 17:28:04 »
My damsons have been falling off for the last few weeks - I've got bags of the sodding things! :)

Lucky you I'm very jealous :(

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 22:28:42 »
ripening early you all say, i better go check the wild tree i spotted a week or so back. don't want to miss out on a free harvest :D

sunnyb

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 00:43:34 »
If it's a self-seeded tree, it's likely to be a relatively vigorous tree as it's not on a restricted root stock.

How tall is the tree and how far away from the wall is it?

Thanks Ceres

Yes, this is certainly a self seeded tree (how come they always grow in the most awkward places?), its about 8ft tall and about 1ft away from the wall. Because our garden is on a steep incline, the soil it has seeded in and, therefore the base of the trunk is only about 1ft below the level of the top of the wall.

Unfortunately, I think we are going to have to take it out, I really can't risk it pushing the wall out, perhaps if one seeded itself there, we'll find another one in a less damaging spot!

BTW, all our fruit seems to be ripening early as well.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 14:02:45 »
So the soil has crept down the hill, and built up against the wall, without moving it. I wouldn't have the slightest concern about the tree! After all, roots grow towards moisture. There's no moisture on the far side of the wall, so the tree roots won't be growing through it. Plums tend to have superficial roots, so they won't be going under the wall either. The trunk is a foot away from the wall, so it won't be pushing against it. The tree will also be holding the soil together, and making subsidence less likely.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 14:05:25 by Robert_Brenchley »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal