Author Topic: manure?  (Read 3368 times)

sarahr

• Half Acre
  • Oooh Shiny!
manure?
« on: October 07, 2004, 16:47:38 »
Anyone know where I can buy some manure online or someone that delivers manure in Leics? I don't drive and don't know anyone with a car and trailer - so I can't collect it myself. Other plot holders tend not to be there when I'm there. So I can't ask them, the allotment society isn't the most active of things. I've seen some manure on the crocus site, but it was about £42 for ten bags which is probably very pricey. I don't really have time to be phoning round the yellow pages, so any help would be gratefully appreciated.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:manure?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 18:12:34 »
Real muck - or any of the dried or pelleted stuff? And for what purpose?

We use Marshall's Organic Extra for special purposes. It appears very expensive but, being dried, goes a long way for those purposes.

Can't see anything in Google that might help - except Dinky Toy muck spreaders!! = Tim

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 18:47:50 »
sarah- i live in leicestershire-whereabouts are you? PM if you don't want to give out details? I get my horse muck from the stables at the end of the road-free, i also work with 2 colleagues who keep horses and have said it's mine for the taking.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 18:54:55 »
The price you quote is ridiculous. Most stables are only too glad to be rid of it. I get a large trailer full 4 times a year, delivered, for 3 quid. I reckon you should check your area for stables and see what you can arrange.

sarahr

• Half Acre
  • Oooh Shiny!
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 20:05:12 »
When I say leics I mean Leicester, about ten minutes away from the city centre. Ken, as I said before I really don't have time to be phoning round stables - I'm in the midst of changing jobs - I currently doing maternity cover as well as my half of my own job so I have to shut down both those jobs before I leave, I've started a degree and I'm redecorating. I know it's expensive but it may end up being the only option, perhaps in the new year I'll have time to look properly. The stuff is bags of rotted farmyard manure, not the the pelleted stuff. How long would I have to leave the fresh stuff for? How much would a ton cover, is this too much? my plot is by my calculations 67ft x 33ft. I'll see if I see anyone who gets manure down at the lottie but when I go, there is usually nobody else about.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2004, 20:34:08 »
Sarah, I usually get my horse manure from our stables for 25p per bag, it's already bagged up, all I need to do is load in the car and drive away.

But....recently I needed some well rotted stuff straight away so I ordered some Farm Yard manure from AHS Direct. Their prices are similar to Crocus, £50 for 12 bags, expensive I know!

Here's their web address incase you need it http://www.ahsdirect.co.uk/
« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 20:35:02 by Jesseveve »
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2004, 21:11:16 »
Don`t you see any adverts for it in your local evening paper`s small ads?  Surprising if there aren`t any at all, although you may have to watch for a week or two.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2004, 21:24:12 »
Oh Sarah
I would say contact Kerry best option or put an add in the local paper yourself?

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2004, 08:51:04 »
Or ask around at work to see if anyone keeps horses. This weekend is hopefully going to be the great pooh run! Friend with a truck, sisters friend who has horses, and me with a sore back! :'(
If I get it bought in by the local farmer, it costs me £30 per tractor/trailer load, and around here if you buy it from the stables and transport it home yourself, it is £1 per bag :o
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2004, 11:57:17 »
sarah-if you wish me to ask my colleagues whether they would deliver it for you (for a charge much less that you quoted before!) i will do so, as it seems your transport and time are issues?????? they can only say no!!!???

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2004, 11:22:20 »
Sarah

How about trying your local stables?   I'm fortunate that my allotment secretary keeps horses, we get free, unlimited horse poo.  

If you live anywhere near Park View Riding stables at Anstey I know they used to give it away 'cos they had so many horses.   The owner up there is called Bev McDonald.

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

sarahr

• Half Acre
  • Oooh Shiny!
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2004, 12:43:48 »
Kerry, Thanks for the kind offer but I wouldn't want to put you out.
ccAnstey is the other side of Beaumont Leys? I'm the other side of town to that. City centre, up the London road ten minutes from the train station. The lottie is half an hour from the station, on foot. I'd probably be best looking at stables around the oadby, wigston way. Thanks anyway. I've got a few days off work, so I'll look into the yellow pages.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal