Author Topic: WHAT DID YOU EAT FROM YOUR ALLOTMENT TODAY?  (Read 262172 times)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: WHAT DID YOU EAT FROM YOUR ALLOTMENT TODAY?
« Reply #780 on: November 14, 2010, 11:20:40 »
First Celeriac - yummy looking, nice size  ;D
Turns out it had a big rotten spot on the inside which needed cutting out  :(

We probably need to eat the others soon or cut, blanche and freeze cubes.

Any ideas what caused this?  They were not frosted as far as I can see and are well sheltered.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #781 on: November 14, 2010, 15:49:03 »
Not sure with Celeriac but with Swede and Turnips it'as a deficiency (boron?)...

Not eaten it yet but just been out harvesting for tea...  Radicchio, red mustard, sorrel (to go with a prawn cocktail) some tomatoes from the greenhouse black cherry, sungold and a few larger ones like Charlie Green. Also went down the bottom plot for leeks, sprouts and winter radish...   :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #782 on: November 14, 2010, 17:53:48 »
With roast chicken we had my kestrel roasties, celeriac and parsnips.     ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #783 on: November 14, 2010, 17:57:45 »
I love raw calabrese. Picked the last few heads today for lunch with a cheese sandwich. I know how to live, me.

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #784 on: November 17, 2010, 17:29:37 »
Meat pie marris piper roasties,go faster beans and gravy. :-*

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #785 on: November 17, 2010, 20:07:46 »
I love raw calabrese. Picked the last few heads today for lunch with a cheese sandwich. I know how to live, me.
  ;D ;D

saddad - can't believe you still have tomatoes now, in a greenhouse. I want one more than ever! Is it heated?

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #786 on: November 18, 2010, 20:54:06 »
My onions in Spag Bol yesterday and my onions and Cara spuds in a Beef casserole and DUMPLINGS tonight.      ;D ;D ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #787 on: November 18, 2010, 22:02:16 »
It's not heated Pigeon seed and to be honest we are down to the last twenty or so just hanging on grimly...
Another salad...  lettuce, chicory, red cabbage, tomatoes, celery.... and a bought pepper!  :)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #788 on: November 20, 2010, 00:19:48 »
 ;D ;D

saddad - can't believe you still have tomatoes now, in a greenhouse. I want one more than ever! Is it heated?

Saddad,  thank you, hmm never thought of boron deficiency, must research that.  The ground had compost and pelleted chicken doodah and a handful of bonemeal.

Yesterday we had sausages (bought) with onions, garlic, fried apple wedges, tomatoes and tomatillos, scorzonera and pasta (bought).  

Pigeonseed, my tomatoes are very similar.  Have been clearing  the first plants and picking the last tomatoes in the unheated greenhouse in the cold part of the garden today.  We have a very favourable microclimate spot where I have another 6x8 greenhouse and there I might get another two weeks.  You will love getting a greenhouse, it really makes a difference.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 00:30:01 by galina »

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #789 on: November 20, 2010, 18:15:08 »
Lamb steaks with my Cara spuds.    ;D ;D ;D

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #790 on: November 20, 2010, 20:06:52 »
cobnut meringues - the nuts weren't great this year, a national problem I believe but oh boy those meringues were fantastic  ;D

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #791 on: November 22, 2010, 00:33:12 »
First of the celeriac.... the roots aren't enormous but they'll do me for two meals per... had it roasted (tasted a lot like a parsnip tbh) with backed potatoes (Pentland Dell IIRC) some sprouts, a roasted yellow spanish giant tomato (running low on toms now, down to about two seed-trays full ripening off) onion gravy and a halloumi and veg pie (homemade except for the cheese and the pastry)... I made a batch of pies a few weeks ago and they keep well in the freezer, taking as long to cook from frozen as a raw potato does to bake....Loving the sprouts though, my first decent brassicas at this place, the Hispi's all went wierd, the red cabbage has only put up one decent head off ten plants, but I've got a little patch of red and green brussels and they're smothered in buttons now.... and they taste great.....

chrisc

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #792 on: November 23, 2010, 19:31:24 »
Sounds great. I've never tried halloumi in a pie. sounds good.

I had pasta with cheese sauce with home-grown leeks in it this evening and it was absolutely delicious. I'm so impressed with the flavour of leeks. I always thought they were watery onions, but they have such a warm flavour. I'm a leek convert!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #793 on: November 25, 2010, 19:52:41 »
Carrots and cabbage, spring onion, garlic and a few windowsill tomatoes with leftover fried burgers cut up small and rice.  Yesterday the last tomatoes and some tomatillos from the greenhouse with pork chops, fried squash (one of the ones that didn't make full size). Had fruit salad with greehouse grapes (last few), apples, pears and strawberries and jostaberries from the freezer.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 20:02:06 by galina »

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #794 on: November 27, 2010, 19:21:43 »
pulled a bag of our blackcurrants out of the freezer and making cassis for christmas - that counts doesn't it  ;D

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #795 on: November 27, 2010, 20:53:24 »
Just some beetroot (pickled)with me salad  jacketspud and quiche.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #796 on: November 27, 2010, 21:51:39 »
Husband ate collards, for about the fourth time in a week. 
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #797 on: November 27, 2010, 22:52:11 »
What are collards Betty?
I had Celeriac & Stilton soup followed by Leek,Courgette (out of freezer) & spinach Tian (think thats how its spelt?)served with pasta & broccoli in a bousin sauce mmmmm' lovely

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #798 on: November 28, 2010, 05:17:56 »
What are collards Betty?
I had Celeriac & Stilton soup followed by Leek,Courgette (out of freezer) & spinach Tian (think thats how its spelt?)served with pasta & broccoli in a bousin sauce mmmmm' lovely

Collards are a type of cabbage and grow very easily for me.  So easily that I didn't even plant any this year, they just seeded themselves!  I'd forgotten how much my husband likes them so I will grow more next year. 
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #799 on: November 28, 2010, 10:24:23 »
Got a slow cook on today with all our own veg and just a bit of beef in. Will be enough for two days plus a couple of individual portions to freeze for our daughter who doesn't have much time to prepare dishes(she's a nurse).This is the time of year when I am so glad to have grown such a variety of fruit and veg.
PS. We have salad for tea with our own beetroot and goosegogs and yoghurt for afters
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal