Author Topic: Blight  (Read 11148 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Blight
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2009, 14:38:18 »
True up to a point, but I'm not, for instance, about to start loading copper into my soil when there appear to be other ways of dealing with the problem. I need a roof for the toms, and I have a neighbour who built a polytunnel out of scrap for very little, so that's a likely solution to part of the problem. I'm also looking into blight resistant spuds; I certainly won't be growing very susceptible varieties again.

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2009, 16:29:27 »
Went to my lottie this afternoon - first signs on both pots and toms. Apparently there is a lot on our site - but taking a walk around some plots seemed much less affected than others but it could be the varieties they are growing. Also picked first ripe tom! Not surprised about the blight really given the weather, but have to go away on Wednesday so decided to cut down the pots right away. Also needed some pots for tea - dug a PFA root just out of curiosity and got 600 grams from 1 root which pleased me so early on for PFA.

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2009, 17:10:49 »
yes had to cut back on my anya potatoes as they were covered chopped all the foilage down to ground level all potatoes seem ok however came home from plot went out back three tom plants had to come out the ground and have chopped all leaves off my toms to first truss not feeling to good right now have lost toms again this year

SO MUCH FOR HEAT WAVE  ???

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2009, 19:21:27 »
We seem to have agreed that this is not Blight??

On Picasso & Maxine.

Gobby

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2009, 20:26:25 »
Yup just a mineral deficiency i beleive, my earlies are very much like these, and im happy to leave them there till there's no plant left tbh, less rubbish to clear once i finish digging.

amphibian

« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2009, 21:41:31 »
I find it intersting that some say "I wont use dithane or bordeaux to try and save my tatts or toms from blight " .. Don't they eat potatoes or toms that year?
Or do they buy and eat Tatts and toms  that have been sprayed and blasted wilth a lot more chemicals than we would ever think of using ?.

I see your point, however, if I eat a spud from a farmer that sprayed the haulms with Bordeaux, I am not loading my soil with copper.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2009, 06:27:04 »
How does the Copper reach the soil?

And in a harmful amount?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2009, 18:09:43 »
It'll wash off the leaves, and there's nowhere else for it to go but down. I wouldn't think heavy metals in any concentration are what we need in soil!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2009, 18:30:41 »
Oh, thanks! And it stays there & permeates all future crops??

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2009, 18:46:39 »
after losing all the toms in the greenhouse on the lottie have noticed tonight that i nowhave it in the greenhouse at home so i looks like i wont get any ripe toms this year :'(
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2009, 19:41:06 »
Real sad!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2009, 21:05:20 »
No signs of blight on our lottie yet, two years ago the toms were wiped out with blight, so I have grown them in my back garden since and this year they are under cover on the veranda of the summerhouse.  :-X       ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

lushy86

• Hectare
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2009, 21:14:12 »
None on our site - fingers crossed watching my PFA like a hawk.  So sorry for all of you who are suffering though, must be so upsetting after all your hard work  :(

Lushy x
Make mine a large one!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2009, 15:37:35 »
A neighbour of mine appears to have blight on greenhouse toms. I think it's a case of being careful to keep the  leaves dry in weather like this.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2009, 20:47:06 »
It is interesting to see how the blight looks and effects various toms. One has completely and in two days wilted from top to bottom like the stem was cut. Others have big dark brown patches on their mainly lower leaves while others have pinpoint dark spots. I'm still picking lots of tomatoes so can't complain I guess. The Tigerella toms, our smallest variety, are doing the best so far though time will tell.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

lushy86

• Hectare
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2009, 20:58:01 »
Found out today we have it on site, one lady has lost all her spuds and heritage toms.  So, the only spuds I have left in are my PFA  - should I take them out or cut them down or just leave them? Would really hate to loose them.  Any advice please, thanks

Lushy x
Make mine a large one!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2009, 09:08:49 »
It has been suggested that my problem is maturity rather than blight.

Thought it a bit early, but lifted a root of Maxine today.

See what you mean, John et al!!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2009, 13:14:48 »
I've had 'maturity' on my Duke of York for some time, but when blight broke out in the Charlotte, it looked quite different! If the PFA isn't showing signs of the disease, leave it. I was ruthless with mine, and cut down the Cara while it was only showing a very few small leisons, but I won't be planting the more vulnerable varieties again.

bedrockdave

• Half Acre
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2009, 17:36:17 »
lost 3 tomato plants today in the greenhouse, must have been due to leaking roof. Just hope it hasn't spread to the others now. Lost all my toms last year and was only thinking at the weekend how well they were doing this

123b

• Not So New ...
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2009, 10:53:06 »
I have 2 allotments, on the one my neighbours crop have been completely devastated by blight, but he usually plants supermarket potatoes rather than seed potatoes. The blight passed onto ours, but only a couple of spots. I dug them up anyway. On his from first signs to no leaves took around 4 days!

At the other allotment most plots now have bad blight, leaves are gone or almost gone. Surprisingly I only have a few spots on my Bartlett potatoes next to a neighbours plot, where his blighted potatoes are only a narrow path away from mine. I am wondering if the Bartletts are know to be fairly resistant.
I have removed infected leaves and plan to go back tomorrow.

I have got photos of blight now, so I am wondering if it would be useful to post them, as I now a few weeks ago thre were lots of people thinking they had blight when it was earlies dying back or Mg deficiency.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal