Author Topic: Potatoes for Christmas.  (Read 7687 times)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Potatoes for Christmas.
« on: July 21, 2009, 21:33:57 »
I've got some organic Lady Balfour potatoes that I want to plant for Christmas potatoes, not seed by the way. I've used a few of them & the insides of a couple were black. Will they still be OK to plant them or will they just rot.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Potatoes for Christmas.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 22:30:39 »
I recently had some desiree which had a hole in the centre surrounded by black.  Never seen this before.  Threw them all away. 

midnightvelvet

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 00:24:18 »

Which varieties are sold for growing specifically for christmas?

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 07:30:04 »
I've got vivaldi from T&M & I've seen Carlingford advertised. They were planting Charlotte on Beechgrove this week that they had saved from the spring planting & there are others. I've got some pink fir apple theat I forgot to plant so will give them a go.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 09:28:36 »

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 10:22:22 »
When I heard about spuds for xmas I thought what a great idea - but then I read the which report on them and was put off a bit.

http://www.which.co.uk/advice/potatoes-for-christmas/which-grows-second-crop-potato-tubers/index.jsp

The price for these 'special' seed potaotes plus lots of compost makes the whole thing daft - unles you can produce your own compost of course.

However, I have some 'normal' king edwards that I have chitted but no space to put them in - they are still in the dark in my shed and look to be alive. Might plant them anyway to see what happens....
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal