Author Topic: what to plant now?  (Read 9842 times)

brownowl23

• Acre
what to plant now?
« on: July 15, 2009, 11:48:44 »
OK im probably going to start another heated discussion but.......

I'd like some advice from all you experienced lottie owners on what to plant now. Im looking at clearing some more beds in the next month or so and would like advice on what to plant now.

Also being that I am late (I think) to plant seeds. is it worth getting  a mixe veg plant pack?

I do need to make my plot look cultivated in the next couple of months for a further cultivation survey. so I assume this means I have to have plants growing. 

elvis2003

• Hectare
Re: what to plant now?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 11:54:12 »
what do you mean by a cultivation survey....would it be the same as a plot inspection to see if you are tending your plot ?
plenty can be started now,too late for spuds and onions,but you could try carrots,leeks,courgettes ,spring onions and lettuce,im sure more experienced gardeners will be along with  better advice shortly!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 11:57:09 »
This might give you some ideas!

http://www.moreveg.co.uk/
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

KittyKatt

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 12:00:39 »
There are lots of veg plants in the garden centres now that would be ok to plant out - cabbage, kale, broccoli, leeks etc. You might even want to try some new potatoes for Christmas. They are on sale now too. I tried them last year. We ended up eating them in October, as they were ready and getting bigger and bigger, but they still tasted good! You could possibly get away with sowing some stuff now depending where in the country you live. I have just sown some more mange tout for a late crop. Also swiss chard. Tried this last year and I got a crop in spring - very welcome! In September / October, you could plant autumn onions and garlic. Also things like strawberry runners can go in soon - maybe some other plot holders at your site would have some spare? Autumn is also the time to think about fruit bushes and canes -  currants, raspberries etc, and fruit trees, if you want / are allowed these as well. I'm sure more people will be along soon with more suggestions, but hopefully here's a start.
Kitty Katt

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 12:02:49 »
There's quite a bit still left to grow - chinese cabbage, fennel, pak choy etc, khol rabi, spinach, salads etc you'll need to check the details on the seed packets to make sure they are ok for later planting. if not I know some people on here have bought plug plants from ebay

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 12:33:26 »
Have you looked inthe the Wiki section?  Click on tab above here.  There is a list of things to sow now.

I have just sown another set of beetroot and french beans.  There are still three very good growing months left.  You are never too late with a garden.  If you scatter some lettuce seeds about on surface, in no time at all you will be covered in it.   

I also sowned some kale - it popped up within a few days.  Planted at this time you sow very thinly and do not move it later, just thin it out. 

Only problem at this time of year is to make sure the seed beds do not dry out, they need regular water until the roots get established.  So now would be great since they have said most places will get rain on friday. 

Things have got a little scratchy on this forum this week.  Normally everyone is lovely. I think that all the new interest in allotment and veggie growing is great.  Hopefully soon you will be eating loads of your own produce.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 13:04:55 »
Winter Radish... get large.. and not "hot" when boiled...  :)

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 13:16:52 »

Boiled radish? never heard of boiling radish, always thought radishes were only for eating raw in salads. Will definitely have to try that one.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 17:52:53 »

Boiled radish? never heard of boiling radish, always thought radishes were only for eating raw in salads. Will definitely have to try that one.

welcome to site
we love them roasted or in stir fries,

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 18:24:39 »
Nice in casseroles too  :)

spudsmummy

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 08:52:52 »
hi there
i have just put in some french beans, radishes and a few varities of squash/pumpkins, they all have come up with in and few days and the pumpkins take up alot of growing space so u can get away with leaving large spaces for them.

hth
6.5 rod plot in southampton, just me and my 2yr old son, hehe       

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 09:24:28 »
summer salads
winter salads
oriental salads
oriental greens
mooli
dwarf french beans
courgette
beetroot
fennel
turnip
carrot
radish
and black winter radish if you can stand the stuff  :D

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 09:29:28 »
well I've just discovered I can still grow more Broad beans....Sutton can be sown in July.

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 09:40:20 »
summer salads
winter salads
oriental salads
oriental greens
mooli
dwarf french beans
courgette
beetroot
fennel
turnip
carrot
radish
and black winter radish if you can stand the stuff  :D

I'll have a go at some of these. Ive already got courgettes, all 15 plants! I have enough courgettes a coming to feed my road this weekend. I didnt realise that courgette plant s germinated from seed so well and one plant would feed so many. Lesson learned there :)

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 09:41:38 »
Good to hear sutton ok to sow now. I think I might get some and do the same as my climing beans have failed totally. Curled tops/dying :(
Jackie

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2009, 09:58:57 »
well I've just discovered I can still grow more Broad beans....Sutton can be sown in July.

Off to local garden centre to get a packet!! 
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 10:17:24 »
didn't work for me - too much disease about in the summer. Mind you I only tried once, and they weren't The Sutton

little pud

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2009, 16:55:20 »
mmmmm, mite try some sutton myself as my others havent done too good, too dry when they started to produce i think.  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal