Author Topic: Modifying clay soil  (Read 1211 times)

Weedfiend

Modifying clay soil
« on: July 12, 2009, 10:46:20 »
Can anyone recommend an approach to making my garden soil lighter and easier to drain?

Plum

• Quarter Acre
Re: Modifying clay soil
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 11:16:01 »
Lots of sharp sand and any spare compost.
First year big improvement. After three years have lovely workable , good drain soil. Had to break through  a blue/grey layer we had a few inches down which stopped drainage but not all clay soils have that.

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 11:21:50 »
I have started using Perlite to help break up the soil and found it helps immensely with the soil. I also have used a lot of Horse manure and sand too. This helps with nutrients and drainage.
I have installed raised beds to help with root crops so they can get deeper into the soil. They have been a big help to get better carrots and parsnips.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 11:33:37 »
I would also consider using green manures overwinter so your soil is kept covered, difgging them in in spring, and also use a claybreaker like calcified seaweed to help bind the clay into small crumbs.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

sambucus

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 05:42:28 »
Incorporate as much organic matter as you can lay your hands on.

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 06:50:24 »
Incorporate as much organic matter as you can lay your hands on.

I second that. The more the better.

Has anyone tried that simple DIY soil particle test? I find it very helpful when modifying the soil. Just fill a jam jar with soil, top up with water, give it a really good shake, then let it settle. after a while you will see different layers, from which you can tell the proportion of clay (the tiniest particles that settle on top) to sand (at the bottom). You can also see organic stuff floating on the surface, and mixed with the large particles.

I started out with a lot of clay and virtually no organic material at all, but that has changed! I now have mostly organic material, and very fine it is for growing in!

Of course, this sort of test tells us nothing about nutrients, but I'd say that with an abundance of organic material you can't go far wrong.

Organic material not only adds vital nutrients and helps drainage, it also delays drying out in hot weather. Sand really does help drainage in heavy clay, but I feel it dries out too quickly, and doesn't provide nutrition.

I'd go for organic material any day.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 17:06:24 »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal