Author Topic: New boiler.  (Read 9247 times)

Hector

• Hectare
Re: New boiler.
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 09:31:56 »
I know a superb and honest CH engineer, will seeif he goes into Cheshire if you want?
Jackie

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 12:49:12 »
Thanks Hector very kind of you & 1066. We are not going with BG very arrogant man who came but wouldn't have had them any way. We do have some one local thanks. BG quoted us £700 last year as our lounge radiator was blocked with gunk. They said it was a 3 man job & could take 2 days. We showed them, 2 OAPs & one afternoon & one trip to the chiropractor, it was 10' in length ;D ;D ;D.

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 13:05:55 »
ive had BG and our local Swalec gas engineer out to quote for a new boiler 1 new radiator new mains gas line 22mm new regulation £3400 fitted

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 17:09:54 »
After my 'joke' BG quote, I've had three local companies in.  Two are registered installers from the Worcester Bosch site I mentioned earlier which means the system would be guaranteed for 5 years for parts and labour on the condition the boiler has an annual service, as opposed to the normal 2-3 years. 

I'm waiting for the last quote in writing from the chap who came this morning but he reckoned between £2K and £2.5K, whereas the other two were saying around £3K.  The difference is in the labour: the bloke today was by far the most thorough, found the best way to install the new pipework and reckoned two days, whereas the other two said three days.

I think it's very important to shop around, do your own research on boiler prices and go back and ask questions about the quote if need be.  I cannot understand why so many people use BG.  They seem to have a standard quote of around £4K based on a 'worst case scenario' whether or not you present with a simple or complicated job.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 19:55:41 »
I dislike Worcester Bosch intensely but if you decide to go with them DO check out their call out charge as it varies from postcode to postcode.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2009, 20:01:20 »
Our first replacement boiler was a Worcester and it lasted about 3 years before dying.  We now have a Baxi-Potterton and after a disappointing false start with the motherboard it has been brilliant (touch wood, touch wood) We have an annual service with Heat team - the motherboard problem was sorted in 24hours.

Combi's are brilliant

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2009, 21:09:09 »
I dislike Worcester Bosch intensely but if you decide to go with them DO check out their call out charge as it varies from postcode to postcode.

Why do you dislike them?

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2009, 21:37:50 »
Hi Georgie,

I had a Worcester boiler put in and about a couple of months after the guarantee had run out it broke down, as I live in an expensive postcode area I was charged £250 call out .  Fair enough if they fixed it but it lasted all of a month and then another £250 and this is how it went on.  It drove me nuts as they kept changing different bits and it would last a while and Bob's your uncle I was back to square one coughing up another £250.  In the end I wrote to the managing director and did get some of the monies back.  But winter time with no heat waiting a couple of days for the engineer to come and everytime having to empty the larder out was no joke.  I really do dislike Worcester Bosch as I cannot see why I should have had to pay more  just for the area I live in that seemed totally unfair and although the two engineers were nice guys I hardly had any faith in them.

Theplotthickens

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2009, 22:15:48 »
I had a Worcester Bosch condensing boiler fitted for @ £1500 15 months ago and no probs and a bill that nose-dived.
Should have done it ages ago !!

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2009, 11:25:21 »
Please get an estimate from the Worcester firm installers.  They have a very good reputation and I plan to have them replace my boiler soon.  I know a heating firm in Four Oakes[nr Sutton Coldfield]  called Stryson which are very are good and have recommended to friends  They  will be fittng the Worcester boiler, but like the retired gentleman they are too far from you.  But can't you get a similar reccomendation from someone. 
British gas is definate No NO with me.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2009, 13:39:27 »
We are going to get estimates next from Worcester fitters. Life is at a standstill ATM. Ashes :D. BG is a NO NO with us also. OH cracked the wash basin last night getting ready for bed but must get the boiler sorted first. He thought he had chipped it but when I looked this morning there is a big crack as well :(. It could well be decision time, we are not getting any younger so do we go for a walk in shower? Can't remember the last time either of us had a bath.
Will this start a whole new debate ;D ;D ;D?

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2009, 17:08:25 »
OH cracked the wash basin last night getting ready for bed

The mind boggles!   ;D  ;D  ;D

G x

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2009, 19:24:03 »
Re bath/shower.
I have recently had a bath removed and replaced with a larger than average walk-in shower.   I am delighted with it.
I asked for and got a shower head with an extra long support and clip low down on the wall.  This means I can have the shower head spraying at various levels.  Useful for 6 footers and me sitting on a stool[very cheap ikea one].  May not apply for your needs but I don't want to wet my hair every time I shower. I have had mermaid cladding on the walls and have heard good and bad about it, so waiting to see how this goes.
The only down side is I was informed it might effect the sale of the house.
I was also with impressed with the firm that did it.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2009, 20:26:05 »
Would recommend not getting a Potterton. Always have motherboard problems and they cost a fortune to replace - even though the electronics shouldn't fail in the first place.

We had a Potterton fitted about 12 years ago, we've never had it serviced and never had any problems with it!

richardh5678

• Not So New ...
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2009, 07:48:39 »
My mother had a weissmann boiler fitted nearly two years ago.  We were all so impressed that I replaced my old (23 yr old) boiler with one a few months ago.  The 200 series,  all singing and dancing, even with outside temperature compensator.
5 year guarantee!!  They are (obviously) German, did industrial boilers until expanding into the domestic market a couple of years ago.
Cost, less than £2400 fitted, from a company in Buxton (Derbys).
NO hot water tank, mains pressure hot water, would have no hesitation in recommending them.
Richard

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2009, 11:38:56 »
Would recommend not getting a Potterton. Always have motherboard problems and they cost a fortune to replace - even though the electronics shouldn't fail in the first place.

We had a Potterton fitted about 12 years ago, we've never had it serviced and never had any problems with it!

I was going on what the service company we eventually used said about them not just our own experiences (although we have two identical boilers that each had the motherboard problem within months of each other). SMP1704 above had motherboard as well.  So make sure your warrant is for at least  three years and covers labour as well as parts and you'll be fine.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2009, 10:53:20 »
We have had our first quote today. £2800 & that is for fitting it in the airing cupboard. BG quoted £3600-£4000 but if we wanted it in the airing cupboard that would be an extra £600. We have two more people coming next week so we will see what they have to say. Very impressed with todays man.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2009, 11:05:07 »

We had one for over 21 years.  Never had a problem with it until it finally failed.  Were told that newer ones not up to same standard. 

BG quoted £3600-£4000

British Gas often have special offers, we got an over 60 discount for my OH and cavity wall insulation thrown in.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2009, 13:39:24 »
Just had BG in for the annual service and told that our back boiler is no longer fitted as not energy efficient :'( :'(it was only fitted in 2002 which in boiler years is not very old.Will have to sell a body part to replace it .Strangely enough the engineer who called had just had a successful kidney transplant :)
sanity is overated

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2009, 22:11:04 »
New boiler is in & running well. We found a superb man to fit it. We had 5 quotes, his was the dearest but we liked him & he was the only one to tell us about the warm front scheme, so we got £300 of the bill. He was also the only one who fitted vailant boilers as recommended by which magazine. We also have a 5 year parts & labour warranty. We now have it in the airing cupboard but there is still plenty of room for storage & plenty of room where the old boiler was taken from. Very happy with the outcome. We will same £22 a month on the BG service & it will cost us about £50 for this chap to come & service it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal