Author Topic: New boiler.  (Read 9253 times)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
New boiler.
« on: July 11, 2009, 09:08:54 »
We had the boiler serviced yesterday & we are going to have to get a new one soon as it's old & inefficient. We are looking into the options but to get the most efficient it looks like we will loose the hot water tank in the airing cupboard. How do others manage without or am I just being old fashioned? It would mean we have a large cupboard for storage though. Small items go in the drier & are put away immediately but I do like to "air" other items when I have ironed them as I have a fierce steam iron so they feel quite damp.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: New boiler.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 15:29:50 »
we've had that, janet..I hang the ironed things on the rack after ironing to air :)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 15:41:50 »
Thanks for that Manic. Getting quotes in soon. I suppose it had better be done before winter, & it will pay for itself eventually ;) so they say. I will miss it also for starting seeds off.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 15:44:20 »
ah, can't help with that, i have those plastic windowsill propagators  :)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 20:19:29 »
old and inefficient? will you ever save the cost of the replacement / fitting of the new boiler? (don't believe the hype) ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Heartysoup

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 20:57:29 »
Just wanted to say that I was in the same boat as you and  wanting a 'proper job' done I gave British Gas a small fortune to do it. It was a disaster and they ended up having to give a large chunk of the money back in compensation. Shop around and don't think that BG are bound to know what they're doing....they subcontract and don't !!!

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 21:06:51 »
Just wanted to say that I was in the same boat as you and  wanting a 'proper job' done I gave British Gas a small fortune to do it. It was a disaster and they ended up having to give a large chunk of the money back in compensation. Shop around and don't think that BG are bound to know what they're doing....they subcontract and don't !!!

I'm in a similar positon although my boiler has just been condemned.  I got a quote from British Gas 'just for a laugh' - £4,000, they must think I was born yesterday! 

You may find this link useful which was given to me by a helpful poster here.

http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/homeowner/products/find-an-installer

G x
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 21:10:33 by Georgie »
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 22:21:33 »
The BG gas man recommended those boilers. He said 90% of gas fitters have them. We will have to have a new one as it's churning out carbon monoxide through the vent to the outside.  BG are sending someone next week & we will get other quotes. There is a discount as we are over 60 ;D ;D ;D. We will see.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 22:39:11 »
shame youre not closer my dad has been a gas engineer all his working life and his firm have just made him redundant on his 65th birthday but he still has all his qualifcations and they stand for five years so he will be looking for private work cheaper then many businesses

gillcat

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 00:41:25 »
We are soon going to have a worcester bosche boiler fitted and the central heating will incorporate my airing cupboard too. I am keeping my hot water cylinder and the airing cupboard so do shop around. We are having it all done by worcester bosche credited installers too.

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 11:31:15 »
We had to have heating fitted into our house when we moved in 6 years ago as it was still on night storage. We had a Worcester Combi boiler (living in Worcester it was no contest really!) and it is fab as we have hot water when ever we need it without having to heat a huge tank of water that we may not use. They are much more energy efficient and definitely cheaper.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 18:53:31 »
Interesting Topic!
There is no gas in our part of the world. We've had oil fired central heating since moving into the village some 30yrs. ago. I discovered that by turning the boiler off during the summer & running the immersion for 2 hrs. on night rate gave us enough hot water for the day.
I have now fitted a wood burning stove (have ample wood supply - free). I can't wait to start it later - it is so much more efficient than an open fire & so much more economical. I think of all the coal & wood I've burnt to date for what?
Burning wood is neutral also.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 19:32:44 »
We replaced our boiler a few years ago and the local company suggested a combi boiler,we weren't sure having always had a baxi back boiler.I spoke to the BG man when he came to do our annual service and he said most of his callouts were to combis and back boilers were more reliable.So the local guys fitted a back boiler....what a fiasco despite trading for years they were hopeless and BG came and put all the problems right.We would have had BG do the original replacement work but would have had to wait.Over the years they've given a v. good service and i hope i'm not tempting fate but the boiler is very reliable
sanity is overated

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 19:49:17 »
I switched from coal to gas a few years ago, British Gas called and gave me a quote for a free standing boiler for £6500.00 I had a local firm to do the job for £1200.00

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 20:13:58 »
We had a new Combi boiler fitted best money I ever spent thanks BG, ;)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 10:50:17 »
Would recommend not getting a Potterton. Always have motherboard problems and they cost a fortune to replace - even though the electronics shouldn't fail in the first place.

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 13:45:20 »
it might be worth having a look on this website to see if you qualify for a grant towards some of the cost. a work colleague is getting a new boiler installed and has only had to pay a couple of hundred pounds with most of the cost being paid for by a grant: http://www.warmfront.co.uk/do-i-qualify.htm

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 22:49:14 »
Our gas bill (Calor) averaged out at £95 a month over the last 12 months, decided that I'd had enough. I removed the central heating and hot water system and removed the gas cooker. I then ordered an electric cooker and instant water heater, plumbed in the water heater then got the electrician in to install a new consumer unit and two extra power circuits, for the cooker and water heater. He tested out the whole installation and everything was OK, most of the wiring has been in for 29 years.

In future our heating will be with thermostatic fan heaters, which can be used as required. Our lounge heating is with an open fire burning wood. I got £40+ for the scrap and still have a large quantity of 15mm copper pipe in the store (used and in good condition.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2009, 22:20:27 »
BG came today. The quote was £3600- £4000 BUT if we leave it the price will go up considerably. That price is for July only ;) ;) ;). We are paying £85 per month & doring the very cold weather we only had 3 radiators out of 7 on :'( :'( :'(.
it might be worth having a look on this website to see if you qualify for a grant towards some of the cost. a work colleague is getting a new boiler installed and has only had to pay a couple of hundred pounds with most of the cost being paid for by a grant:http://www.warmfront.co.uk/do-i-qualify.htm
Thanks but we don't qualify.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2009, 09:29:40 »
Granny janny it really pays to shop around. Do you know anyone who has had similar work done, or do your council have a list of registered contractors? I've had combis for years now and really like them. When I had the 1st installed it cost me about £1000 for a 2 bed flat and they did it in a day (ripped out the storage heaters and had new radiators etc). A friend who had a 1 bed flat got BG to do it and it cost £2,500 to £3,000 and took blummin ages!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal