Author Topic: Those Bl**dy Caterpillars again  (Read 2288 times)

Kepouros

• Hectare
Those Bl**dy Caterpillars again
« on: July 05, 2009, 23:35:27 »
Once again the irises in the ponds have finished flowering, and immediately on cue the caterpillars have appeared and within 2 or 3 days have reduced a large number of leaves to skeletons.  Every year they appear - little grey things about an inch long - in their thousands (I counted 84 on one leaf), demolish most of the iris foliage, then disappear.  Scrape a few off into the water, and it boils with frantic carp and orfe pretending they`ve never seen food before, but this is far too time consuming a task to clear them all.  I never find any chrysalises to indicate what has happened to them, so presumably once they have eaten the iris leaves they return to the water, but I have never noticed any particular abundance of strange lepidoptera emerging from the depths.

So can someone PLEASE tell me what on earth they are, and where do they go after they`ve eaten my irises down to the water level.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: Those Bl**dy Caterpillars again
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 10:04:16 »
We grow irises all around the pool and have never seen any caterpillars
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 10:25:47 »
Would you like me to send you some?

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 15:24:09 »
Once again the irises in the ponds have finished flowering, and immediately on cue the caterpillars have appeared and within 2 or 3 days have reduced a large number of leaves to skeletons.  Every year they appear - little grey things about an inch long - in their thousands (I counted 84 on one leaf), demolish most of the iris foliage, then disappear.  Scrape a few off into the water, and it boils with frantic carp and orfe pretending they`ve never seen food before, but this is far too time consuming a task to clear them all.  I never find any chrysalises to indicate what has happened to them, so presumably once they have eaten the iris leaves they return to the water, but I have never noticed any particular abundance of strange lepidoptera emerging from the depths.

So can someone PLEASE tell me what on earth they are, and where do they go after they`ve eaten my irises down to the water level.

It sounds like Iris sawfly caterpillar.  Is this it?

http://www.lincsbirder.co.uk/iris_sawfly.htm

G x

'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 15:41:30 »
Bullseye Georgie.  I`ve looked it up and found pictures of Iris leaves looking every bit as bad as mine.  Seems I`m lucky though in that mine don`t appear until flowering is finishing, whereas in  other areas they actually eat the flowering stalks as well.

Many thanks

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal