Author Topic: Refusing people allotments  (Read 7030 times)

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
Re: Refusing people allotments
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2009, 11:17:40 »
I think we have all done something that we regret.  Sorry that it is still deviling some of us.

However,  the one thing to find out about this individual is whether he was "kicked off" another site.  If he was within the last 12 months then I think the council have no opition than to refuse him an allotment.  If he could not get on at one allotment how do you know he will change?  besides first time anything happens on the site he will get the blame and he might probably be an innocent part, that will cause all sorts of tensions on the site.

If his offense at the other allotment was more than 12 months ago then he should be given a chance (say 12 months trial).

Bill

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2009, 17:59:20 »
the one thing to find out about this individual is whether he was "kicked off" another site. 
History apparently includes animal cruelty twice, prosecuted by the RSPCA, kicked off one of our other sites 3 years ago and now being kicked off his current site.  As all staff have changed over, it is taking a little longer to confirm these details or to check if there has been a mix up with the individual.  I do not know him, do not know of him, never met the chap,  just hearing what his alleged offences are.  Nobody can confirm this in writing at present so we are on hold whilst we are looking into the business with the other site.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 18:50:48 by ktlawson »
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2009, 18:40:46 »
. If this person has been had up for animal cruelty twice and actually prosecuted by the RSPCA then I wouldn't want them to be on the plot next to me.If he has previously been put off two sites then I don't think that the council will let him have another.  It also seems that this person isn't someone who is sorry for what he did in the past cos if he's just been put off his current allotment then he is obviously not towing the line somewhere or other.I would leave it to the council who will have the last say.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2009, 18:42:45 »
It does rather sound like he's had his second chance. And his third, and his fourth, and so on... Can't say I'd want to share a site with him if it's true!

sazhig

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2009, 18:50:12 »
The word APPARENTLY is the key here...as yet there is NO written evidence that this person has actually done anything....until then I see no reason why this person shouldn't get the plot they are entitled to. But I can see from the actions of our government and the replies on this thread that  innocent until proven guilty is but a distant dream.

BrianK

• Not So New ...
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2009, 18:57:41 »
Sure  And the road doesn't need a zebra crossing till some little kid dies.

Theres a huge waiting list out there. Pass him by. If he takes it to court.....  then decide what to do then. 

Why isn't white and black not black anymore, Too many PC people calling every colour grey wears a bit thin.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2009, 19:02:59 »
If they have been turned off two alloments then they have had to be doing something that is against allotment rules, otherwise they could stay put.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

daxzen

• Half Acre
  • this is isaac he is my allotment troll
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2009, 10:50:24 »
maybe i am missing something

a person's criminal record is subject to some confidentiality

why should the police be pronouncing on a person's suitability for an allotment

that's an offence! even if the allegations are true

if there are grounds for refusal and there is evidence then get on with it refuse him - don't hide behind whispers

someone needs to start using the new lynx and grow some maracas

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2009, 11:06:29 »
If - and I repeat - IF - this person does a nasty, is a paedophile, a rapist or whatever - and does something to somethings or someone on the site - who are you then going to blame - no doubt - the Police, the Council or these liberal people that say unless someone is convicted of a crime they should be free to run about potentially causing nuisance or much worse!

We have - any number of times - seen posts on this site about sheds being broken into, stuff stolen, damaged etc.  Why - if you are given a warning - (and they certainly would not give it in writing! for goodness sake where are you at)  There are  a number of known "iffy" characters that have not - as yet - been caught red handed but are "known" for whatever reasons.

The police are not allowed, due to the Data Protection Act and whatever other relevant human rights acts there are to  specify where convicted paedophiles, murderers  and ex criminals now live.  There are also potentially dangerous schizophrenics out there that, without their medication, are a big threat!  We have seen several murders in the papers about these!

Ollie - I am sorry that you feel as you do - but at the time - when you were due to go to Court - you did admit that your "choice of friends" was what got you into that position!

I still feel - VERY STRONGLY - that you should take notice of the warning!

The Council or whoever does not need to give this person a reason - although if he is criminally minded - he may well have a clue!

Old Bird
 :o

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2009, 11:55:54 »
After having worked with schizophrenics for years, I can safely say that this is scaremongering. OK, the occasional schizophrenic can be dangerous. So can the occasional non-schizophrenic. 99.9% are no threat to anyone but themselves, just as 99.9% of the rest of us are no threat to anyone. What do you want to do, bang up a very large number of perfectly harmless people, at vast expense, just in case the odd one somewhere turns out to be dangerous?

In my experience, the very occasional dangerous individual has other problems as well, and isn't hard to spot.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2009, 12:42:05 »
I think we have all done something that we regret

I can't see the police making this sort of recommendation for something regretable.  I'm with you Oldbird.  You appear to have been warned. 

daxzen

• Half Acre
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2009, 13:11:02 »
oops

apparently, irrational fears about security and the threat to one's person and one's property rise in an inverse proportion to one's age

in other words older people tend to be more fearful

lots of old people on here today!!!

dax

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2009, 13:33:52 »
oops

apparently, irrational fears about security and the threat to one's person and one's property rise in an inverse proportion to one's age

in other words older people tend to be more fearful

lots of old people on here today!!!

dax

"rising in inverse proportion" means decreasing with age - is that what you mean? And I have a question - who told you that a criminal record is confidential? All convictions are in the public domain.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2009, 13:36:33 »

Since the beginning of this year, my shed has been broken into twice (only had items stolen once though so that's all right), our site building (100 foot long brick built Victorian stable) was burnt to the ground with all the contents by arsonists, my fruit cage nets have been slashed and the fruit stolen (second year running) and my plot has been trashed by moronic couldn't-care-less neighbours running amok with a strimmer (also for the second year running).  Oh, forgot about the offensive weapon I found at the back of my plot after one of the break-ins.

My site is in one of the more affluent, leafy Greater London boroughs.

Yes, I am irrationally fearful about security and the threat to my person and property.

No, I'm not old.

Your post is one of the stupidest I have read here.  

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2009, 13:41:39 »

Your post is one of the stupidest I have read here.  

I actually found it quite offensive but decided it was possibly just me & the pain & the painkillers... so I deleted what I was going to type as I keep snapping these days!

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2009, 13:53:19 »
Your first instinct was right Ollie.

Buster54

• Acre
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2009, 15:25:39 »
I've heard enough,I'm getting the posse together lets run the schizophrenic paedophile rapist murderer animal hater out of town who's with me lets ride
Ollie C you can be scout

Another post started with he said she said

I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2009, 15:44:04 »
In relation to it being older people that fuss more about criminals and violent crime - I think not - I don't have children that I need to keep from paedophiles and yes it is the younger people that are jumping up and down "what about my babies".

I have  friends and acquaintances that have criminal convictions, I don't know many violent criminals and gangsters but fraudsters and the like.  I am certainly not "a timid "old lady".

I am always ready to wade in - if needed!

Luckily it is not my allotments in question so certainly not my problem.

Daxzen - I don't know how old you are but you obviously aren't very mature.
Part of evaluating life is also evaluating the risks.  

Robert - absolutely true - I had generalized massively - and I apologise for insulting some people with mental health issues - but it is fair to say that unless some schizophrenics take their medication regularly - some can become a danger to the public!

I am not in the least worried about my own security.  My car is never locked - my house is not locked during the day - I walk miles off the beaten track with no mobile signal - without any fear.  So a bit of a generalization there Dax!

Age is a number - Wisdom comes with age.

Old (in name only!!) Bird

;D

Hope the painkillers are helping Ollie!

daxzen

• Half Acre
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2009, 15:55:14 »
i believe that if you fall fould of the law then you pay the price thru the courts etc after that you have the chance for rehabiliation - if there are unproven allegations then they are hearsay - gossip!

I dont understand how a police report has been submitted on an allotment application, if it was done formally then there is no breach of confidentiality but what a waste of resources - if it was done informally then there has been an offence committed

Why the personal remarks? I think that age and maturity are not linked and also age and experience are not linked either.

just cos you have been round the block a few times does not make you wise

dax

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2009, 16:20:17 »
id say one thing if this guy is causing this much concern on a internet site talking about growing veg then one must wonder what would happen if he was allowed a plot and how long it will take for your plots to get wind and what will it be then complete mayhem until he moved on again you have the right to say no so use it if the police and the RSPCA have all got something to say about him there seems to be enough of a warning bell for me

KTLAWSON it ain't worth the peace and quite that someone comes to expect on site to be upset by someone else insuring there is trouble

there is enough squabble chatter and backstabbing going on without adding to it

pick your fights this isn't one to get involved in unless you have square shoulders this will come back and bite you in the a***

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal