Author Topic: Refusing people allotments  (Read 6997 times)

bridgehouse

• Acre
Re: Refusing people allotments
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2009, 16:34:20 »

Well I would not want this person on the  next  plot to me, no smoke without fire, and all that.
        June.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2009, 16:44:34 »
Dax

I totally agree with you about going through the courts - paying the price and off you go again.  But - I don't know how old you are or whether you have kids/animals or not - would you like this "person" on the next door plot to you?

I have been an anti hunt protester all my life - I have been to hunt meetings where I am in the minority of 1 to 500 hunt supporters.  I have had abuse from these people - incidentally hunting still continues and they will be killing young deer within 5-6 weeks again here on Exmoor, some earlier poster said that hunting was banned - I so wish that it were!

I am not a bystander in life - tut tutting when things go wrong like some.  Sure ignore the warning and watch this space.  

Dax you say that there has been an offence committed by the policeman and what a waste of resources etc. The personal remarks directed at you were in retaliation for your earlier remarks about age!

But - I would think it pointless to discuss anything with you as you have not the maturity to think through to a logical conclusion.

I certainly would not stand by and let a kid/animal be beaten up - I would report a child crying continually - wouldn't you?  Silly question I suppose!  Because you wouldn't -  or would you?

Old Bird

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2009, 16:59:41 »
Well, it seems he's been hung drawn and quartered here well before he's got to the top of the list.

Can you imagine if he managed to get a plot - every time someone mislaid a tool - he'd get the blame; any vandalism - him of course; a carelessly thrown cigarette end burns down the trading shed - he's an arsonist.  And if the rumours turn out not to be true?  Well, mud sticks, unfortunately and unfairly.  And any friends he has - they are just as guilty, just because they chose to be friends with him.

And while we're on the subject of criminals, I have a friend who has just come out of prison - he is still a good friend, and I would trust him with my life.  He is a good person - but broke a stupid law.  The police would say otherwise, though.
The Tuscan Beaneater

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2009, 18:06:14 »

History apparently includes animal cruelty twice, prosecuted by the RSPCA, kicked off one of our other sites 3 years ago and now being kicked off his current site. 

Nobody can confirm this in writing at present so we are on hold whilst we are looking into the business with the other site.

Possible animal cruelty obviously very bad (if true), but irrelevant to having an allotment unless he's said he wants to keep chickens or something.

Allegedly being kicked off existing site far more relevant and I think you are doing the right thing by holding off till you've established if this is true and if so why it's happened.

Anyway hope it all works out!

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2009, 18:26:04 »

Come on dax,   ---   make my day,        ;D

Seriously,  If no one had known of this persons  ''apparent'' dubious past,   would we not

have welcomed him/her onto our site, given freely any leftover plants etc, helped with advice

if needed and given them a cuppa tea !

Who do we know who is amongst us ?      Those of us who are observant and astute, will soon

get a few warning bells.      Take it from there , have always formed my own opinions about people

I meet, despite any scare mongering or adverse gossip.     

My chin is ready !      ;D

floss xxx
Hertfordshire,   south east England

Mrs Soup

• Not So New ...
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2009, 22:43:52 »
We turfed a chap off our site last year, who, on enquiry, had been on several sites in the area and behaved in the same way on each. Had we known about his behaviour we would have thought twice about giving him a plot.

This chap was in no way the same league as your man here. He simply came up with many many excuses as to why he couldn't work the land. Most of them sounded genuine, but after 9 months I did some ringing and he is notorious in the area for this.

Allotments function on trust, meet the chap and trust your instincts....

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2009, 06:08:39 »

Why the personal remarks?

Because you're talking nonsense!

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2009, 07:53:35 »
animal cruelty obviously very bad (if true), but irrelevant to having an allotment unless he's said he wants to keep chickens or something

I disagree. If this is true, this person is evidently a nasty piece of work and I wouldnt want such a vile sadist as a neighour, regardless of any allotment-related crimes. This can hardly be compared with a past shoplifting or drug offence!

Have you Googled him? You may find links to local newspaper stories. Also suggest contacting the RSPCA, and get confirmation from the police if possible.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2009, 08:43:30 »
Have you looked at the court records for this person?  I was warned a couple of years ago about an individual with whom I was doing business, (not by the police) and I found a whole history of court appearances and convictions.  In this case, what I found lead me to terminated my business dealings. 

daxzen

• Half Acre
  • this is isaac he is my allotment troll
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2009, 10:41:15 »
i give in

lol

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2009, 11:38:06 »
PS not some old fogie but good sensible business practice.  Not rumour, but sound evidence.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2009, 12:13:41 »
Dax is right in that fear of crime (in relation to victimisation) in general does tend to rise proportionatly with age.  However it does not apply to all crimes and of course it is a huge generality with many other contributing factors.   
Personally I'd give him the plot.  Unless we check everyone one on our waiting list for suitability I wouldn't single out a specific person.  I have no idea about the past of my fellow plotholders nor is it my concern.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2009, 13:30:57 »
You can check out court judgements online

http://www.trustonline.org.uk/ 

Probably also worth checking out if anyone is using your name in vain. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal