Author Topic: Cooking with Asperger's!  (Read 9093 times)

cheerfulness

• Half Acre
Re: Cooking with Asperger's!
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2009, 22:00:45 »
Oh dear kea, hope he's cheering up now the snow is going.  ;)

Mine is now dating a girl with AS and dyspraxsia (sp). Life just gets more interesting.  ::)  The two of them together are quite something!

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2009, 16:44:03 »
He's cheered up a lot now thanks. School stayed open and he was able to do some extra time on his course work. He missed the art trip to the V&A so that he could get on with his tech. This weekend we drove him all the way to Plymouth so he could look around Uni and the course he wants to do. Looks good.....right up geek street!

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2009, 17:36:28 »
Oh life is never boring with Aspergers - thats for sure!

My Harry keeps me on my toes - we are on half term now so it's spud planting for us this week!  He'll enjoy that!

He can also dig for treasure whilst we're there - he has found clay pipes and old crocks and is as happy as larry when he finds them!  I like to think of a past plot holder sitting smoking his clay pipe!!!

Louise

Grow yer bugger grow!

cheerfulness

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2009, 07:25:35 »
Well I hope the weather stays dry for you and Harry on the allotment this week Louise and he gets loads of digging done to burn off that energy.  ;)

I do find AS mystifying. As I said before, my son was very attached to our cat (a tremendous calmer during his meltdowns) but she was getting old and worn out and the vet advised us it was time to say goodbye, which we sadly did recently.
We prepare the boys a little before hand as we expected it but my eldest son was completely untouched by it all. He adored her but when she had gone its like she didn't exist, he just severed the emotion.
Logic, I suppose, as he said she was too tired and needed to go so it was better.  For someone who has a very complicated life in many ways he seems to have a simple outlook which occasionally I envy.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 07:27:35 by cheerfulness »

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2009, 11:24:21 »
I don't think it's as simple as that, Cheerfulness. My son spent all his breaks and lunchtimes at school with the school rabbits and Guinea pigs, deaths occurred quite frequently and he didn't seem too affected then his favourite rabbit died...he was sad but didn't seem too upset but he stopped going. I asked him why he didn't go anymore and he said it was just too much for him when his favourite died and he was still very upset. He just didn't appear upset to me.

cheerfulness

• Half Acre
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2009, 08:07:11 »
It can be difficult to pick up on what they're feeling sometimes, can't it kea?  ???
I asked him if he was okay but he was matter of fact about it. He said it didn't bother him because it was the right thing to do for her.

He's determined to get a dog now. A particular husky type expensive dog.  ::) He can dream!

« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 08:09:31 by cheerfulness »

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2009, 09:22:00 »
It's funny you should say the word 'expensive' my son always wants the biggest/most expensive!

The electric guitar he has just finished building for Product design A level has cost me £300 for components and wood and he got the wood cheap. It looks amazing though (I've only seen the photo's) but his younger brother said it does look even better for real it shows of the grains of the different woods he's used. But it has been his obsession for the last 8 months and I'm guessing you will know what that means. :)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2009, 22:29:33 »
Speaking as someone who had an adult diagnosis of AS I shouldn't worry too much about the recipe following funnies.... we do tend to be literal minded and if instructions are written down we expect them to be exhaustive.... these days I work as a QA Engineer for a company that makes 3D motion analysis equipment and part of my job is checking the manuals are correct.....

These days I write my own recipes out.... I have friends who find it a bit odd, I'm one of the better cooks that I'm aware of so people assume that I just chuck it all together, but as soon as I'm cooking for more than me I suddenly sprout lists......

chrisc

cheerfulness

• Half Acre
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2009, 10:34:28 »
Interesting to get a comment from someone that experiences AS firsthand, rather than living with someone with it.   :)

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2009, 11:54:46 »
Not surprised by your occupation Chris!

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2009, 12:07:12 »
I want to come in to say thank you to you all. I've never known anyone with AS but surely one day I will and you've opened my eyes to the condition, too. So, again, many thanks.

(and yes, I'm still smiling at the thought of '4 tbs of water' on your shopping list, Kea :))
on this thundery wet day i found this thread and glad i did.what smashing kids you've got challenging yes but rewarding just like all kids.the more we all talk about stuff the better lets face it we could all find differences in each other but similarities in equal measure.love to hear more.
sanity is overated

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal