Author Topic: Bees and dogs  (Read 1462 times)

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Bees and dogs
« on: July 01, 2009, 18:58:16 »
I have a nest of small bumble bees in the garden and I'm worried that my dogs will become too inquisitive and the bees will sting them so I'm thinking about having the nest destroyed but I'm very reluctant to do this.

The bees are nesting in a soakaway and come and go through a 4" pipe.  I noticed they were there because one of my dogs was giving the pipe rather a lot of attention and there are quite a few of them there now.  I've put a recycling basket over the top of the pipe so the bees still have access but my dogs can't get too close.  I'd fence the area off if I could but it's the only access into the garden and there's only room for the basket.

My dogs have been attacked by bees before and I'm not going to risk that happening again and they need access to the area all day.

It's maybe possible that I could put a length of pipe on top of the outlet and send the bees up and over - would bees fly vertically up a 5' length of 4" pipe, and would the ones who were away work out how to get back?

I'd appreciate your thoughts.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Bees and dogs
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 23:10:47 »
If the bees react then I doubt whether the dogs will ever go near the nest again. A dog can run a lot faster than a bee flies (so can I for that matter!) so don't worry.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: Bees and dogs
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 21:07:58 »
Thanks Robert.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal