Author Topic: I think I have killed......  (Read 1672 times)

Hosta

• Half Acre
I think I have killed......
« on: July 05, 2009, 21:55:03 »
My Hawks Head Fuchsia !!

I had to dig it up and move it yesterday and I have 'shocked' it and all the leaves are now droopin.

I moved it into the shade today, but is looking worse.

Do you think it will recover ?

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: I think I have killed......
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 22:17:57 »
Hi Hosta

It might recover, in fact it probably will.  I'd cut it back a bit and give it a feed.  Keep it well watered and in semi shade for a while.  If you do lose it let me know and I'll send you some cuttings.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 23:00:33 »
I agree with Georgie that given a fighting chance it should recover.  However, I would hesitate before cutting it back because the foliage on it can act as well at helping recover as at hindering it.

Ideally, spraying it with tepid water at frequent intervals would work, but failing that if you can erect some sort of polythene tent around it while making sure its compost remains wet you should be able to achieve the same result as sticking a plastic bottle over a soft cutting.

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 23:48:02 »
If I am to move a loved plant then I would take a few cuttings of it to be sure that if I lose the plant then I can replace it with the cutting.
I have also made sure that the root ball is large enough to not disturb the roots.
Best of luck with the plant.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

Hosta

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 07:37:33 »
Wish I had thought of that before I dug it up.   Its in a large pot as a temporary home.

It looks as bad as yesterday.  :(  Thought it may have started to improve.

I will leave it in pot and see if it recovers - I hope so, its one of my faves.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 17:08:53 »
I'd keep it out of both sun and wind for awhile to help the water stay in the tissues.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 23:39:42 »
It will also take longer than a couple of days to improve if it's reacted this badly - more like a couple of weeks before you see anything. You're also likely to lose many of the leaves.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal