Author Topic: What should I feed.....  (Read 877 times)

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
What should I feed.....
« on: June 26, 2009, 16:51:53 »
....my Christmas tree???

I bought a living tree last year & installed it in a large, pretty contain bought specifilly for the purpose.   I used all purpose compost & plenty of rainwater to keep the tree living over the festive period then put it outside on my back yard.

Up until now it's only received whatever water fell out of the sky & no further supplements from me.   It is now putting out shoots all over the place & is starting to look fantastic.   However, it's still utilising the same potting compost (b & Q's own brand) that I fed it last year.

I want to keep the tree growing & wondered what would suit it best i.e. blood, fish & bone or pelleted chicken poo or tomorite etc.   

A workmate heard that a can of sugary drink such as 7-up can help & a sprinkle of Epsom salts helps the tree produce a lovely green foliage.   

If anybody else has any other suggestions they would be gratefully received.

CC

ps. before anybody asks - I don't want to plant it out permanently because I like a living tree in the house & being in the container allows me to move it in & out easier.

"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: What should I feed.....
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 17:03:25 »
blood, fish & bone or pelleted chicken poo or tomorite etc.   

I guess you have these fertilsers at hand so I would go for the chicken pellets as these have a fairly high nitrogen content the others have too much potash.

Regarding compost in the container; scrape out about 2"(50mm) of old compost and replace it with a proprietory POTTING compost! this should be enough to keep it going.

It would seem your plant is quite happy with its 'watering' regime so carry on as you are doing.

Having said that in long dry spells a drop of water once a week won't go amiss i.e. don't let the pot dry out!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal