Author Topic: Tomato problem  (Read 871 times)

Dirty Nails

Tomato problem
« on: June 26, 2009, 15:20:51 »
I have tomatoes growing in our tunnel with an irrigation system buried below the surface, it is not easy to see how much water they are getting I have it set for once a day for 3 minutes, I am a bit concerned as the leaves seem to be folding up as though they are short of water, I have checked with a meter and it indicates 4 and over, can any one give me some advice, is this normal do they require more or less water and would it be a good idea to feed them, they have just started to flower.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
Re: Tomato problem
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 15:57:57 »
A photo would help but unlike potaoe,s rolled tomato leaves do not indicate disease.
the inward curling of young leaves is generaly taken as a good sign if they are dark green and look healthy.
The rolling of the older leaves could be caused by a number of other things,  providing there are no pest and disease pressent
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 16:40:05 »
Welcome to A4A Dirty nails... (join the club)  ;D

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 16:56:07 »
it is not easy to see how much water they are getting I have it set for once a day for 3 minutes,

I can see your problem, or should that be I can't see your problem ???

Is it a 'trickle hose' you are using?

My guess is your plants are not getting enough water some days and possibly too much on other days.

I think the only way you can check is pull up some of the hose and catch the water from say a 6"-12" (150-300mm) section of hose.( this is about the size of a rootball)

Catch the water in a container (saucer) and see how much is filtering through in one application.

As a guide; I know I give mine  1-2 litres at a watering and perhaps more when the plant/s are full of fruit & leaf. I do this at least every other day or every day under current weather conditions.

Sorry I can't offer any more than this!

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 10:17:02 »
i have a drip system in some of my toms, they are on for 3 mins 4 times a day and
still need watering every other day
lbb

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal