Author Topic: Blackcurrants  (Read 12918 times)

twinkletoes

• Hectare
Blackcurrants
« on: June 23, 2009, 09:12:48 »
Oh this is soooooooo embarrassing  :-[ :-[!  I have picked a load of blackcurrants - what I need to know is do I take the little dried up flower bit off as well as the stalk?  I intend to use some for jam and some to freeze (if that makes any difference to the answer(s)).   ;D
twinkletoes

wetandcold

• Half Acre
    • Not on a gardening theme!
Re: Blackcurrants
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 09:19:28 »
If you are going to eat them in a dessert then you'll need to cut off both ends of the berry. If you are going to make jam then this applies too (otherwise you'll get lumpy bits) however I find it much better to make jelly instead of jam - this way you don't have to bother cutting off the ends.

Buy a proper jelly bag and either filter the hot jam through it into the jars or, better still, mash up the intact berries and heat to extract the juices - then strain through the bag, add sugar etc. and boil to make the jam.

No doubt someone here will have a better idea but this works well for me!

Good luck!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 09:30:36 »
It is usual to 'top and tail' them before making jam.  If you are making jelly then it does not matter since you are going to remove the bits.  Though presume that if you want really clear top quality jell then topping and tailing needs to be done.

I pressure cook blackcurrants first and this softens up everything nicely so you do not need to bother.

123b

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 09:42:47 »
I too picked around 1Kg of Blackcurrants yesterday to make Jam, but after reading this I think I will be making Jelly!!!
Now where can I buy a straining bag today! Or maybe I can freeze them until I can find a straining bag!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 09:44:58 »
Welcome to A4A 123b, Lakeland in town, if you've got one... but yes they will freeze until you need them...  :)

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 09:47:40 »
Thanks for your responses - think I'll be with 123b and make jelly instead ....see you at Lakeland (thanks saddad).  ;D
twinklestoes

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 09:52:25 »
They used to be made of muslin.  Do not know if you can buy this any longer.  They last for years.  Made one when I was first married still got it.  Married in 1972.

wetandcold

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 09:55:14 »
I also got my bag at lakeland. Initially I didn't get the stand to hold the bag but later went back for it as it makes the whole process so much easier and less messy...

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 10:11:36 »
We use an upside down kitchen stool...
OH knocked it over when straining the elderflower cordial... took five washes to stop us sticking to the kitchen floor... thankfully it is slate/marble type tiles...  ;D

wetandcold

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 14:26:20 »
My kitchen is the right way up so I don't need one of those... :)

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 17:29:11 »
When cooking them to eat i just removed the stalks nobody noticed the flower end...I did start removing them but it does get very tedious very quickly.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 19:28:42 »
Sod going to all that fuss. Just make the jam and put it on granary bread, no one will notice the lumps  :-X
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 23:25:25 »
I never bother about the tail end bits, and I always make mine into pies anyway - mixed with Bramley apple.  Plenty of custard and you`d never notice.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 23:39:08 »
I never bother....  :-X

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 23:51:23 »
Life is too short to bother with the remains of the flowers!! They are quite small in any case and do not affect my enjoyment when the blackcurrants are used in jams, tarts, pies or muffins.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal