Author Topic: Growing Garlic  (Read 1214 times)

warnie

• Not So New ...
Growing Garlic
« on: June 22, 2009, 10:57:05 »
Hi all, please forgive the very novice questions (new to forum and gardening). Really enjoying messing about and experimenting - my neighbours can't quite believe I am turning my hand to growing veggies!!!

I've read (this week) that you shouldn't start growing garlic now and October is your best bet. has anyone managed to grow starting this late/early?

http://www.milorambles.com/2009/06/22/garlic-experiment/

many thanks for reading.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Growing Garlic
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 11:25:47 »
Always worth a go warnie and I'd be interested in what happens.
Garlic can be a bit odd with the seasons and some need a cold spell to get them to going - what type did you plant?
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 12:06:27 »
I love experimenting, but I believe that this is a no-go. Otherwise, there would be no seasons?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 14:21:48 »
There are a couple of factors that come into my mind and they are;

Garlic needs a cold period to split the planted clove into a series of cloves, and variety will play its part as well.

You could probably get away with 'Elephant garlic' (which strictly speaking isn't a garlic) as this does not split in the same manner as true garlic.

I will be interested in your results!

This is how I grow mine; http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Garlic/Garlic/garlic.html

ps: this slide show might help the person who discussed 'storage/drying in another thread.

BTW the drying time is very much dependant upon the soil/weather conditions at the time of picking.

Last year my crop was quite wet and had a great deal of soil sticking to the roots so needed a week or two of drying whereas If I were to pick mine today it would be ready for storage within a couple of days.

warnie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 14:50:33 »
thanks guys. I'm not holding my breath but as I am new everything is an experiment and worth trying so I know what I've done wrong.

If nothing comes of it I will try again when it gets colder!

I would like to try Leeks and with any luck I've not missed the boat with that one.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 15:08:00 »
Thanks TeeGee, it was me -

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,52851.msg536171/topicseen.html#new

BTW the drying time is very much dependant upon the soil/weather conditions at the time of picking.

Last year my crop was quite wet and had a great deal of soil sticking to the roots so needed a week or two of drying whereas If I were to pick mine today it would be ready for storage within a couple of days.

That's a good bit of info there and helps explain things a bit more. Thanks

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 17:07:03 »
There's no point in planting garlic now as it's ready to die back. This will happen at the same time regardless of when it's planted so I assume it's controlled by day length. Wait till the autumn.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal