Author Topic: Hen pedicure  (Read 1482 times)

bronwylfa

Hen pedicure
« on: June 15, 2009, 09:23:08 »
Just joined the site, currently enjoying the sunshine in North Wales and wondering how much to trim off my hens toenails.  Specifically 2 bantams (would it be any other type of hen???) that have been brooding  a clutch for a while and not done a lot of scratching.  Noticed that one of them has really long toenails and wondered if there is a given length to cut them t,  like you would a dog or cat.  I have got some specific dog nail trimmers, guillotine style so just how much is all I need to know to make them more comfortable.

We have been growing organically on a quarter acre garden here in sunny St Asaph for the last 20 years, Starting to scale back a bit now as the children are gone and we don't need as much to eat.  Over the years we have come up against many problems so would be more than willing to share what knowledge we have gained to help others who are starting out and new to the delights of tilling the soil. ;D

Old bird

• Hectare
Re: Hen pedicure
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 15:33:08 »
Hi - I have just got myself another 12 ex battery hens and their toenails were in an apalling state.  Huge great long talons that pointed upwards and anywhere else!

I trimmed them with dog nail clippers and just aimed at what looked ok for a normal hen and then left another small bit on and hoped for the best - you can't see the "quick" anyway they all seem to be much happier now although I did cut a couple of them too close and they bled like fury - seem all to have healed up and scratching around now as they couldn't before!

Old Bird

;)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: Hen pedicure
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 15:48:59 »
can't help with the hen question but welcome to A4A Bronwylfa

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal