Author Topic: Swift potatoes not doing well  (Read 10144 times)

liefste

• Not So New ...
Re: Swift potatoes not doing well
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2009, 00:05:53 »
Ah if you mean the mother tuber that you planted then that is normal for them to rot.
Oh thats alright then. many thanks.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2009, 19:44:29 »
Dug mine up today, came to 2 1/2 lbs. Lots of them were marble-sized or smaller, so maybe they would have got bigger if I'd been more patient!

nittynora

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2009, 20:26:44 »
We dug up two plants today of Pentland Jevelin - got about 1 kg of decent sized potatoes (only 1 or 2 "mini-spuds" not matured on each plant - the rest are bigger than golf balls).

So ... really pleased with this, BUT ---- they never flowered at all.  The Charlotte next to them have flowered but not a sign on any of the Pentlands.  Is this normal?? Or have we missed them?

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2009, 20:42:34 »
Here are my swift ::) grown in a potato sack from Marshalls

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2009, 20:59:47 »
I've never grown swift so its hard to compare, it was a toss up between swift and rocket this year and the cencus was rocket so maybe I was lucky but those growing out of the ground must keep them well watered and try to be patient, I've got them in and out and I've noticed how dry the out of the soil do get. I dug out four plants of rocket today and there are some small ones but they all go down the same hole.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2009, 21:22:35 »
We dug up 3 more swift today & got 4lbs 3oz. That's 7lbs intotal from 6 plants. As it's our first year we don't know if that is is good average or poor but they are lovely.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal