Author Topic: Swift potatoes not doing well  (Read 10234 times)

compostclara

• Not So New ...
  • every day a new miracle
Swift potatoes not doing well
« on: June 12, 2009, 20:17:58 »
My Swift potatoes planted about 9 weeks ago in two different places on the allotment grew a bit (about 9 inches) then stopped dead.  Excavating two plants I found one small potato on one root, three on another, but no other small potatoes waiting to grow - so I don't think I've dug too early. Plants looking yellowish, compared with other types in the same plots.  Three other types planted about the same time - Home Guard, Charlotte and Sarpo Axona seem to be doing fine - much taller and greener.  Anyone else experiencing trouble with Swift?

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
Re: Swift potatoes not doing well
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 20:24:23 »
I've grown some Swift earlies. I started digging them up two weeks ago after they'd been in the ground ten weeks and the foliage was starting to go yellow and die back. I've had about a handful of golfball sized potatoes per plant.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

hild

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 20:27:53 »
Well, I've just been wondering whether to start a topic on my exceedingly non-prolific Swifts!  I planted mine about eleven weeks ago and started harvesting about two weeks ago - as yours there didn't appear to be any small 'uns lurking waiting to grow and the ones that were there were all good-sized.  Very tasty, but hardly any of'em!  I've just dug the last of them today and then I'll have to wait for the second earlies to come along.

Is this usual with first earlies in general?  I mean, is a low yield basically the price to pay for early tatties?  If so, I might just have to contain my impatience next year and skip any first earlies as I haven't really got space to 'waste' on such low returns...   :(But they do at least taste nice! :)

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 20:30:10 »
Mine are also not doing well, several died off, and the others are really small compared to the ones I planted later.

The swift are the ones on the right!

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 20:49:41 »
Swift is probably the earliest potato to mature and does not usually have large crops. It also has one of the shortest stems which makes it particularly useful for growing under cloches, which is what I do. You do have to keep it well watered as it is often very dry in May and June, as this year has been.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 21:19:45 »
we did swift last year but weren't impressed, grew rocket this year and we prefer them  ;D

liefste

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 21:21:13 »
I planted some seed pots in a large plastic dustbin at the end of Feb. I planted four nicely chitted premier seed pots, on top of about 10" of good garden compost, then covered them over with a little soil and waited. They started to show about a good two weeks later and then it started to warm up and they really grew well from then on, with a good green healthy foliage. I earthed up when required, about 3 times all in all and i watered once, when we had a dry spell. I thought by the end of May they would be more than ready. However they did not produce any flowers. I really wanted to eat my first crop of new potatoes so i tipped over the bin and all i got were a few lousy potatoes for all my effort, i was so dissapointed as i thought i'd done really well.. Can anyone shed some light on this unsuccessful crop of bin grown spuds. ??? ??? :'(

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 21:33:09 »
We planted ours 10th April & took 3 plants up on Monday this week. There were 3lbs in total & they were fantastic but it is our first year ;D ;D ;D.
Janet

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 21:53:22 »
All my other spuds are growing very well with some 2nd earlies now beginning to flower!  I dug one Swift plant up today and the 3 spuds were tiny.  My first year with Swift and disappointed so I will stick to Rocket or Arron Pilot. :(
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

compostclara

• Not So New ...
  • every day a new miracle
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 21:53:36 »
Thanks for your comments - glad to see I'm not alone with poorly producing Swifts.  My ground is very wet clay so I don't think watering is the p[roblem.  I've grown Aran Pilot and Pentland Javelin with success in other years.  I grew Swifts because You Know Who grew them on Gardeners' World last year - that'll teach me, won't it!  Pentland Javelin again next year methinks.

darren2007

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 22:05:17 »
i planted swift first time this year and im very impressed with what ive had already i posted a picture of a few i dug up afew weeks ago the only thing is now the ones im digging up some of em have slug damage

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 22:11:33 »
Pah that settles it. I'm digging the b@ggers up at the weekend and will stick some cabbages in instead!

Tattieman

• Half Acre
    • www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 22:17:37 »
The swift haulms are not very big and they don't normally flower which can be confusing for people.
They have been bred to produce an early crop of edible potatoes in the north of Scotland so they probably prefer cooler climates. The only advice I can give everyone is that when the plant gets to 7 weeks of age you should make sure they have plenty of water so that the tubers can bulk up. Before tipping out the contents of your containers try and pull one shaw and see if any potatoes come out with the shaw. This will show you the size of the spuds before you empty them all out. If they are ready to lift you should find that the tubers do not come out with the haulm. This would be a sign that the plant has reached maturity and is starting to die, thus leaving the potatoes in the soil to start over again.
Hope that helps.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 22:29:45 »
How long do Ulster Sceptre need to be in the ground. They are flowering & have been in for 9 weeks.
Janet

liefste

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 22:32:17 »
thanks tattieman for your knowledge... why do you think that i did not have a good crop in my bin.. please could you read my post above.. could you tell me what happens to the seed potatoe please, after the harvest, as my ones so far have rotted both in my bin and from the first plant that i pulled from the ground... Cheers

Tattieman

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2009, 23:02:01 »
grannyjanny wait until those flowers die off and they should be ready about a week later.

liefste it sounds like you did not give your potatoes enough water when they were growing in the bin and maybe they didn't have enough fertilizer. I add 16oz of Vitax fertilizer per 100 litre of compost and I use a seaweed spray to boost the foliage. As for them rotting if it is earlies you are lifting how are you storing them? Earlies should be eaten as soon as they are lifted or stored in a cool dark area where they can be allowed to breath and cool down.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2009, 23:05:56 »
Thanks Tattieman. We look forward to them. Need the space for the brassicas ;D.
Janet

Tattieman

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2009, 23:14:16 »
I have some Ulster Sceptre in my garden but no flowers yet.
Have a look at my blog grannyjanny and you can see them all growing.

liefste

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2009, 23:19:48 »
grannyjanny wait until those flowers die off and they should be ready about a week later.

liefste it sounds like you did not give your potatoes enough water when they were growing in the bin and maybe they didn't have enough fertilizer. I add 16oz of Vitax fertilizer per 100 litre of compost and I use a seaweed spray to boost the foliage. As for them rotting if it is earlies you are lifting how are you storing them? Earlies should be eaten as soon as they are lifted or stored in a cool dark area where they can be allowed to breath and cool down.
[
Yes i think that could have been the reason, not enough watering.. Reference to the seed potato, i meant that the seed potato has rotten in the ground when i pulled up the first harvest./quote]

Tattieman

• Half Acre
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2009, 23:41:12 »
Ah if you mean the mother tuber that you planted then that is normal for them to rot.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal