Author Topic: Filberts/cobnuts  (Read 3521 times)

Sarah-b

• Acre
Filberts/cobnuts
« on: September 27, 2004, 10:11:53 »
Hi,
On our allotment we have a double row of about 12 nut trees. That is quite exciting and we did get some nuts this year. I'm not sure what they are - either cobnuts or filberts. The nuts were very small.
I'd like a better crop next year - does anyone know how to go about it?
One thing that strikes me as a bit silly is that the trees are only a foot apart. Should I thin them out? And if so, how would I do it (surely chopping down would just have the effect of coppicing - and digging up would upset neighbouring trees.)
Should they be cut back, mulched, beaten, broken?
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Sarah

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:Filberts/cobnuts
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2004, 10:55:26 »
Far too close as trees - even for a hedge they need 3'.

How thick are the stems? If too thick to thin without major disturbance, I would cut down & use a root killer. They like good drainage but not too much feeding. Just giving them space should help.

Rather than say what we do, have a look at http://www.ag.uiuc.edu/~vista/html_pubs/NUTGROW/growth.html & adjacent pages on pruning etc.. = Tim
« Last Edit: September 27, 2004, 10:56:41 by tim »

Learner Gardener

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2004, 11:19:18 »
I have just found a cobnut tree on our lottie site on an abandoned plot. I didnt realise that you can eat them. What do they taste like, when do you harvest them and how do you use them.

Thinking of Christmas coming up  ;D

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2004, 11:26:18 »
You need to harvest them before the squirrels do!
Basically they are probably OK from when they start to go a bit brown to when they get completely brown. I think the purists would say wait until they fall off the tree and then pick them up. But for me that would mean losing them in the long grass on the plot next to ours.
They taste like moist hazelnuts. We just eat ours as they are, but they are probably even more tasty shelled and toasted. Will probably keep until xmas - but better check that there are no little holes - a lot of ours were empty with a little hole made by who know what little nasty..

Sarah.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2004, 12:25:56 »
LG - you might find it in the link above? = Tim

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2004, 12:59:39 »
sarah- the current issue of kitchen garden magazine has an article all about nut trees and their cultivation.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2004, 14:52:33 »
Ever heard that term `as sweet as a nut`-that`s a fresh cobnut-but it`s a race against the squirrels.

Stephan

Learner Gardener

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2004, 15:31:06 »
Thanks Sarah and Tim ... I will look forward to harvesting them for Christmas provided the squirrels leave them alone. Think I will try to leave them until November (if they haven't started to fall by then & squirrels permitting) ...  :)

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2004, 15:35:26 »
mmm cobnuts

lady at work just come back from Kent with a load of nuts ashe also brought some cob nuts and they are lovely !!

carl

yes yes the nuts was a joke
another member of i forgot my password

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal