Author Topic: Chicken Manure -Going Cheap!!!  (Read 3606 times)

Parsley

• Not So New ...
  • I'm a very friendly lion, called ....
Chicken Manure -Going Cheap!!!
« on: September 24, 2004, 20:05:03 »

Strange subject for a first post methinks  ::)……..I've been reading forum for some months now, but due to computer problems, was unable to post without bombing out…Still here goes !!!

Noticed this at my local B & Q today, and grabbed the last 5 tubs off the shelf.

Roosters Pelleted Chicken Manure 7kg tub

B & Q Clearance price  £3.45

Thats, £1.55 per tub cheaper, than my Allotments Assocaition Shed price.  :-*

Never eat yellow snow.....

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Re:Chicken Manure -Going Cheap!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2004, 21:47:19 »
Oh dont tell your lottie committee they might have to drop there price. ha ha
I am waiting for our lot to ask me if I want some then with a smug look on my face will tell them I produce my own. Six hen in the garden oh if I could pellet it.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2004, 22:00:10 »
Have you ever wondered at the conditions in which the hens must be kept to get enough droppings to make turning it into pellets?
Gardening is the great leveller.

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2004, 22:16:02 »
Eric, even more worrying is the thought that with chicken manure pellets selling so well there will somewhere be a group of scientists frantically attempting to genetically modify chickens to produce pellets instead of droppings.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2004, 22:27:24 »
With three legs and two orifices so they can produce more pellets, more frequently!
Gardening is the great leveller.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2004, 22:39:33 »
I wonder what additives they put into the chicken pellets to ballance it to be a good all round fert.
Mine is pure chicken poo but at least I know that it comes from happy girls? well as happy as they can be not male's to worry them.

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2004, 13:10:38 »
DPM - Dried Poultry Manure - used to form a fair part of commercial layers rations. Hope they've stopped that by now, but I wouldn't like to bet on it.

Our lot (7 old hens, 3 p-o-l pullets and 2 12-week old chicks, plus Solid Sid the Speckled Sussex c0ckerel) plus about 25 adult rabbits (and variable numbers of kittens) produce more straw/shavings/rabbit pellets/poultry dung than I can usefully use - and our local council, bless their little hearts, refuse to allow it to be added to the "green waste" bin for composting.
Sumer is a coming in....

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2004, 13:31:46 »
a bit off the original thread, but following on from giglamesh's green waste comment: our council won't accept veg peelings or fruit peelings in the green waste bin. this is what they make the 'county compost' from too. we are expected to put it in the 'normal' (ie. landfill) waste bin ???
ours goes in our compost bin. their loss!

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2004, 15:09:17 »
I expect it's something to do with the mechanism at the other end of the (as it were).

I know our recycling all goes into one weely bin (or will do when I get mine  >:(  ), all goes into the lorry as one and is then hand-sorted at the other end. Imagine having to pick through potato peelings etc, must be bad enough doing it with old tins & bottles  :-X

Most councils now do schemes where you can get a subsidised compost bin.

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2004, 12:40:19 »
We nabbed about 8 old nes from the neighbours when we went from black sack collection to wheelies. I STILL have a surplus.
Sumer is a coming in....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal