Author Topic: Alocasia caudata -  (Read 1913 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Alocasia caudata -
« on: November 07, 2004, 10:21:34 »
Another of Johns wonderful plants.  I am quite jealous you know!!  ;) (and the mint looks like mind your own business or whatever 'they' call it...the sort that takes over!)

Alocasia caudata (?) 'Black Prince' underplanted with a plant sold to me as a dwarf golden leaved mint (not something you would put on your lamb, but in the mint family!). Anyone have any idea what it is? The pot/copper pan has no drainage and both are happy to the point of needing division.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Re:Alocasia caudata -
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 14:21:59 »
I have a relative of that lovely plant a little tender for Bham UK but it is still outside at the mo in fact I have had two pups off of it commonly known as Elephants ears.
I think the under planting in your picture could well be (common names) "Mind Your Own Business" or "Baby Tears" and it has been rampant in our little garden.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004, 15:57:35 »
Just found an old picture of our "Baby Tears" "Mother of Thousands" Soleirolia Frost hardy although leaves are killed by winter frost but recovers in spring. ;D

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004, 18:22:45 »
I have Soleiriola soleirolii planted under Alocasia caudata. This is a quite different plant. Thank you both for the attempts to help.
The 'Black Prince' has noticeably shorter petioles than usual this year, Roy. Probably due to our cool summer, in the U.K. they must get to the height of mushrooms? Do you know which is the wavy leaf Alocasia in your first picture?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2004, 18:23:57 by john_miller »

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 20:35:10 »
Those in the first picture John are Alocasia gagaena (dwarf elephant ear) all three were pups off the mother plant that turned to mush May this year.
Just purely out of interest John what are your average summer temps?

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2004, 02:31:32 »
July is our hottest month, averaging three days annually over 30C (the rest above 25C) with close to 100% humidity and, more importantly, consistent night-time temperatures above 15C for two months. 2003 saw 21 consecutive days above 30C in July alone, 2004 saw none in the entire year, so it is variable. 15C+ makes sleeping uncomfortable though, if you don't have air-conditioning.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal