Author Topic: prawn tails  (Read 9244 times)

woodybrown

• Quarter Acre
  • The brat pack
prawn tails
« on: June 03, 2009, 20:21:17 »

CAN ANYONE HELP US??? DO ANY OF YOU HAVE THE PROBLEM OF OTHER ALLOTMENT OWNERS PUTTING RAW PRAWN HEADS AND TAILS ON THERE OWN ALLOTMENT. WE HAVE!! OUR ALLOTMENT NEIGHBOUR (CHINESE LADY) IS DOING THIS AND IN THIS HEAT IT IS VILE!! MAKING US FEEL VERY SICK. WE HAVE LEFT A POLITE NOTE TO HER AND THE SITE MANAGER BUT HAVEN'T HAD A REPLY YET, AS WE BOTH WORK FULL TIME AND ONLY REALLY GET THE WEEKEND TO GO AND SORT BITS OUT. WHAT DOES IT DO? I KNOW YOU CAN BUY STUFF TO DIG IN BUT THESE ARE JUST LEFT ON THE TOP OF THE SOIL....NASTY NASTY....
SORRY ITS A LONG MOAN
THANKS
SHIRLEY

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
Re: prawn tails
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 20:23:21 »
I think i would be phoning the Enviromental Health.........like yesterday
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

woodybrown

• Quarter Acre
  • The brat pack
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 20:25:08 »
THINK  I WILL WASN'T SURE IF IT WAS A NORM THING TO DO AS NEW TO THE ALLOTMENT BUSINESS THANK YOU X

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 20:34:48 »
It has nothing to do with being new to lottie life common sense should tell the person who is doing it that it will atract a lot of vermin and possibly health hazards
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 20:36:30 »
I have heard of using shellfish as fertiliser, but I'm uncertain of any real gain to be had from simply putting raw meat onto the soil.  Though I bet your local foxes are loving it.  :)
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 20:59:35 »
I never heard anything like it, she's so shellfish.    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 10:15:14 »
What a waste, the head's the tastiest bit.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 11:05:32 »
Robert - you cannot be serious!

Yuk - with all the googly eyes and whiskery bits?

Old Bird

:o

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 11:24:47 »
it sounds like they are using their plot as a waste disposal site. This requires a waste transfer liscence, and also a waste treatment liscence. I hope they have got one when you 'phone the environmental agency on....08708 506506,  or on the 24hr pollution hotline which is     0800 807060 ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 14:08:40 »
Robert - you cannot be serious!

Yuk - with all the googly eyes and whiskery bits?

Old Bird

:o

Actually, I am. The head's as easy to shell as the rest, though very often I just pull the legs and antennae off and eat the rest.

Buster54

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 17:02:48 »
I think if it were me I would make time during the week to speak to other Allotment holders and  the site manager,instead of moaning on here to a bunch of self opinionated people who are ready to string her up without even seeing the problem,and as for phoning the Environmental Health why don't we all go around and run her out of town,give the site manager time to do his job,make time to see your allotment neighbours and site manager and raise any problems you have face to face all your gonna do is alienate yourselves to the weekend moaners.
May be that's why she dumped the shrimp heads  :-*
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 08:47:08 »
I think if it were me I would make time during the week to speak to other Allotment holders and  the site manager,instead of moaning on here to a bunch of self opinionated people who are ready to string her up without even seeing the problem,and as for phoning the Environmental Health why don't we all go around and run her out of town,give the site manager time to do his job,make time to see your allotment neighbours and site manager and raise any problems you have face to face all your gonna do is alienate yourselves to the weekend moaners.
very well put,sound advice here
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 08:54:38 »
I never heard anything like it, she's so shellfish.    ;D ;D ;D

I bet that when they do manage to speak to her, she'll just clam up.  :(

little pud

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 08:57:09 »
or just go into her shell  :P

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 09:16:46 »
Wot I reckon is that she's putting the remains of the prawns there to attract the cats to her plot so she can put em in her cat cum chicken chow mein ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 09:24:19 »

very well put,sound advice here

Well I suppose we have to be opinionated as it is a forum and if none of us had an opinion there would be no forum. :)

Fish heads on an allotment are bad news.

I would not stand it for a moment.In fact if nothing was done about it I would remove them myself >:(

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 09:33:14 »
Wot I reckon is that she's putting the remains of the prawns there to attract the cats to her plot so she can put em in her cat cum chicken chow mein ;D
:o  :o  :o  :o  :o
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Buster54

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 10:01:19 »
That is exactly my point betula they started of as shrimp heads and tails and now they are fish heads(your words)have you actually seen them did they post any pics  did they find out why no,the post started by attacking this Chinese or oriental female by a couple of plot holders who find the time to pop down on a weekend and leave a couple of polite notes,and then everyone jumps on their band wagon.
We don't know if she is using the plot as a dumping site we don't know if it is for some sort of oriental fertiliser,you cant just make an opinion until you have ALL the facts and Woodybrown are asking all the wrong people.
Any way my plot awaits for the next 6 hours
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 10:44:18 »
Personally - apart from the smell - which surely will wear off pretty quickly in the heat and when they dry out - I think that it is a good idea.  They will crisp up and then crack and break down into the soil.  Probably a good source of nutrients in them!  And a good way to get rid of unwanted stuff - except if you happen to have an allotment next door to them.

My plot smells pretty ripe at times when I have seaweed, chicken poo and coffee on that is fresh and beginning to decompose - luckily I have not had any complaints, my neighbours are friendly, chatty and sensible!!

But I do agree some of you are over reacting to something - which basically will not hurt anyone and could do this plot a lot of good. The number of times that a straightforward reaction is "go to environmental health" "sue them" "report them to elf & safety" never approaching the subject directly themselves - just passing the buck - and causing a complete "hullaballou" about pretty much nothing!

It is only an early stage of the blood fish and bone fertilizer that many of us use!

Good luck to the lady and hopefully her neighbours can treat her with respect even though they don't like what she is doing!!

Old Bird

;D

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2009, 10:56:36 »
Ann I do not agree.If this person has a regular supply the smell will never go.

On allotments we are all working very close together and you have to consider your neighbours.There is no room for extremes in this environment.

The smell of rotting fish would surely force some people to have to abandon working close by and that is not reasonable or fair.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal