Author Topic: 2 ft spacing for brussel sprouts  (Read 1846 times)

aebal

• Not So New ...
2 ft spacing for brussel sprouts
« on: May 19, 2009, 08:27:52 »
Good morning
                     Could anyone tell me why it's necessary to have at least 2ft space between sprout plants? And could I plant cabbage between the sprouts, thus making a brassica bed.
                                                                Thankyou

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: 2 ft spacing for brussel sprouts
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 09:00:33 »
They make very big plants... eventually. Underplanting with small cabbage like Minicole, which will be out before the Sprouts need all the room, or radish/turnips/kohl rabi/lettuce make good use of the space..

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 13:42:58 »
If they are too close and tightly planted then air cannot circulate around and under the plant.  Come autumn and winter, cold dampness is trapped amongst the lower leaves and can harbour some beasties that would damage the plant.  The dampness can also cause some of the plant to rot prior to harvesting.  In addition,  if the plant has restricted growth area, it can reduce the size of the sprouts.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 15:20:42 »
Could anyone tell me why it's necessary to have at least 2ft space between sprout plants? And could I plant cabbage between the sprouts, thus making a brassica bed.

Firstly I would say that it is not necessary to plant them two feet apart I plant mine 15" apart.

This is not to say that planting them further apart is wrong, in fact it is the most common method e.g. 2-3 ft apart.

Its just that I have experimented over the years and this spacing suits my growing methods, location and soil type. Other people might have other reasons for their spacings.

But what I wouldn't do choose how far apart they are is;  interplant with anything.

Even weeds have a hard time coping under sprout leaves such is the darkness they create.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 16:15:44 »
They won't need the space till the winter so you can interplant up till then. You could grow smaller crops between them, or plant them under sweet corn.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 16:18:38 by Robert_Brenchley »

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 18:09:13 »
we put them in between our overwintering onions, that way, when the brassicas need the room, the onions are out  ;D

Magnus

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 22:55:42 »
I use a bed system and plant in blocks.  This means I can get more plants into a smaller space.  My spacings, in staggered plantings is one foot.  Works for me
Things are the theives of time

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal