Author Topic: How's this for lousy timing?!  (Read 7886 times)

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
How's this for lousy timing?!
« on: May 18, 2009, 11:39:11 »
I had a letter today from my local council, offering me an 8 perch allotment.  I've been on the list for 2 years now and up until a month or so ago had been managing my friends lottie while she recovered from a very serious illness.  But as most of you know, I have a fractured spine from a car accident. 

On the one hand I want to bite their hand off because the plots come up so infrequently, I could be waiting another 2 years if not more but on the other hand, things are still in limbo until my mri scan and I know I'm not physically capable of digging at the moment.

Any advice welcomed as I'm in a right quandary now!

Ps how many square metres is a perch?  I don't really want one as large as the one I was managing but I know our council doesn't do half plots.  The one I was looking after was roughly about 20ft across by 60ft
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 11:42:57 by posie »
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

Old bird

• Hectare
Re: How's this for lousy timing?!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 12:17:59 »
What a nuisance!!

I still would grab it - if it is what you want - sizewise - I have not an iota of a clue how big ann 8 perch allotment is!!

If it is too large - what about looking amongst your friends who may like to share it or perhaps put chickens on a patch - if they are allowed.

I would state when you get the plot that you are - due to your accident - unable to tackle it immediately!  Then they won't expect it to be perfect - immediately anyway!

Hope your back gets better and the friend that you helped - if she is better - could she help you now - just a bit?

Good luck with it anyway!

Old Bird   ;D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 12:23:24 »
How many feet in 1 perch? The answer is 16.5.

8 perch plot would be something like ...erm 272 square feet?
(Need my calculator...that doesn't seem big enough)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 12:32:38 by kenkew »

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 12:24:18 »
A perch is the same as a rod, historically the distance between an Oxen's back and the plough, it is 5.5 yards.

8 Perch is 8 square's of 5.5 yards so around 20 feet by 120 feet, so I suspect that your friends is already a half plot.

As long as you can keep the weeds down by strimming / mowing then I would take it, the council should be happy to split it particularly if there is a waiting list.
Best laid plans and all that

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 12:25:31 »
I would take it, you can always black platic it until you are ready.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 12:54:34 »
oh bother this is lousy timing but i have to agree with the others i would take it but letting them know the situation you are in at the moment then strim and cover till you could get at it.

you could throw together a dig party where you provide the food and drinks and a party of friend and relatives could come and dig over the plot over a weekend.

then you can still manure and cover it and leave it till next season.

also it might be an idea to look into some of the no dig gardening options out there; such as raised beds, lasagna gardening, etc.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 12:59:32 »
Thanks for all the comments.  I think what I'm going to do is go and have a look at it so I've some idea of the work that's needed on it.  If it's like a jungle it'll probably be a no as unfortunately friends and relatives of mine are not forthcoming when it comes to gardening!  I may be able to persuade the council to go over it first then I can cover it and just do little bits as and when I can.  And as most of you have said if I let them know about my injury that should give me a little leeway.  I know a few people up at the site as well who are aware of the injury so may get some help from them.  I'll keep you all posted.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 13:59:12 »
I think a lot depends on how long it's likely to take you to recover from the accident. If it's a matter of weeks or months rather than anything long-term, go for it!

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 14:07:02 »
I think a lot depends on how long it's likely to take you to recover from the accident. If it's a matter of weeks or months rather than anything long-term, go for it!

This is the problem at the moment, I'm waiting for an mri scan on 27th of this month so I'm hoping that will shed some light on things.  I do have a month to respond to the council, so I've got a little time to play with.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 14:19:20 »
8 Rods is 80% of a normal full plot... @220sq yards... slightly less in metric. Go and have a look at it... ask if they strim it down if it is overgrown...  :)

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 17:29:46 »
Well I've just found out from someone I know up the lottie that the plot they've offered me is the one opposite the one I've been helping with and it is absolutely horrendous, head height with every weed and bramble you can imagine, even with the kids helping, I just don't feel up to that.  She has said however that there are two other plots going, one of which is in reasonable condition and has been worked reasonably recently, so I may try and talk them into giving me one of those instead.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 19:00:56 »
With a waiting list of 2 years, how come you have plots in such neglected condition?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 19:02:29 »
'Cos councils aren't quick to evict people for non-cultivation...  ???

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 19:06:03 »
So if Posie takes it on, she'll have time on her side?... ;)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 19:11:57 »
Most folks won't give the plot up until the end of the rent year cos they think that if they have paid for it then why should someone else have it. This often happens on our site even if they have no intention of keeping it. Like Sadad said the council should turf people off if they have no reasonable excuse as to why their plot isn't cultivated.Ther is no excuse for letting the weeds grow sky high when you can spray it or cover it.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 19:51:26 »
Maybe I am going to seem really harsh here, but unless this is likely to be very short term (say less than a month) then I think it is pretty unfair to take on a plot. Especially if there is a big waiting list. Perhaps you could negociate staying at the on the list until you are better. I.e you are offered the next plot when it comes up and, if you are better you can take it. If not, it is offered to the person below but you stay on the top of the list.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 20:02:55 »
I'm with Sparkly but!!

I'm afraid most councils don't think that way!

Why? .....its too much like common sense!! although I guess it is worth a word with them to raise the idea.

Best of luck!

By the way; sorry to here of your accident,I  hope all goes well in the future both with your health and obtaining a plot!...TG

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 20:03:45 »
Hope you can sort something out Posie.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 22:05:19 »
Maybe I am going to seem really harsh here, but unless this is likely to be very short term (say less than a month) then I think it is pretty unfair to take on a plot. Especially if there is a big waiting list. Perhaps you could negociate staying at the on the list until you are better. I.e you are offered the next plot when it comes up and, if you are better you can take it. If not, it is offered to the person below but you stay on the top of the list.

Well the plan would be for my kids to help out with the heavy stuff (they're 14 and a half) and I'll do the lighter stuff, which will help to keep me mobile and give me something to look forward to and to aim for, I don't intend to just let it grow until my back has healed as that would be irresponsible.  I haven't made a final decision on it because quite honestly I don't know what the prognosis is until I have my mri scan.  I have that in 10 days and I have to notify the council within one calendar month of the date of the letter.  Believe me it is not something I would enter into lightly.

Modified to add:  there may well be the option to stay on the list, it's something that I need to consult the council about and will do so when I finally get hold of them.  All I'm doing here is bouncing off ideas, I'm not saying I will take it or will even be well enough to take it.  If I don't have enough support then I won't because it wouldn't be practical.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 22:18:23 by posie »

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 22:07:10 »
With a waiting list of 2 years, how come you have plots in such neglected condition?

I have no idea, it certainly hasn't been worked for at least a year.  Someone said something on site about the council preferring them to return to their natural state - but I can't say if that's right or wrong to be honest.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal