Author Topic: What Should I Put In Them  (Read 1791 times)

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
What Should I Put In Them
« on: May 16, 2009, 20:06:39 »
Because our garden only has an inch or so of soil my wife has been out and bought seven  orange pots, one very large one and two each of three other sizes, I want to plant them up with flowers that will contrast the colour of the pots and also want them to hang over the sides, any ideas?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: What Should I Put In Them
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 20:17:07 »
Blue trailers like Lobelia. Convolvulsus Blue Ensign trail and re much bigger plants...

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 20:17:59 »

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 11:22:57 »
Hi Mick

As promised in chat last night, here are a few suggestions from me.  In the largest pot I'd go for either Thunbergia alata 'Susie' (mixture of white yellow and orange flowers) growing up an obelisk or one of the deep purple/black Phormiums. Then I'd use smaller purple/black grasses in the other pots using the same Thunbergia as a trailing plant, space permitting.  Not sure how you are going to group seven pots easily though.....

G x   
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 20:03:41 »
I tried to get Tangerine Thunbergia and Heliotrope from every garden centre in our area today without any luck.  :'(

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 20:33:51 »
I tried to get Tangerine Thunbergia and Heliotrope from every garden centre in our area today without any luck.  :'(

Oh heck, sorry to hear that (and I'd forgotten about suggesting Heliotrope - another fine plant to compliment orange).  Looks like you'll have to look to others for some ideas then.  Sorry mate.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 23:08:33 »
How about a small tee-pee from hazel/bamboo and put sweet peas up them, loads of colours/mixes available.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal