Author Topic: cat's toilet..!  (Read 35199 times)

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
Re: cat's toilet..!
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2009, 17:21:05 »
How on earth can you have 3 non free range cats.  Do they never go out.  My cat loves indoors in winter and loves the sun in summer.  Sleeps on the shed roof, sometimes he goes to the toilet next door, sometimes in my garden, he doesn't understand English so doesn't think he is doing anything wrong.

this is how. well, this is the old one, haven't any photos of the new one at this house. They go in and out as they please, lay in the sun, stalk butterflies but don't get to kill birds.

it makes an excellent support for climbing squashes as well.

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2009, 17:27:26 »
I like the birdfeeder just outside your cat house......Tv for cats ;D

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2009, 19:50:27 »
this is how. well, this is the old one, haven't any photos of the new one at this house. They go in and out as they please, lay in the sun, stalk butterflies but don't get to kill birds.

That's fabulous!  Did you make it?  I don't have cats but if I did I would worry they would get lost or run over so this sort of thing looks perfect.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2009, 22:05:44 »

That's fabulous!  Did you make it?  I don't have cats but if I did I would worry they would get lost or run over so this sort of thing looks perfect.

i built it, but the 6 x 3 mesh panels were bought ready made. there are shelves and tall scratching posts and it looked a lot better once the plants had established and the grass had come through. we've reassembled it in a different shape at this house.

They absolutely love it and it is nice knowing that they are safe, and not killing wildlife or annoying gardeners! and if people come to visit who are allergic the cats can sleep in the house part of the run overnight.

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2009, 22:07:57 »
Does anyone have any advice how to stop other people's cat from using my garden as a toilet??

Tried cat pepper, but just been out and caught one of them weeing on my borders, the wee does not bother me, but the poo does!!!

Have no cats of my own, but seem surrounded by other peoples!!

Any advice gratefully recieved.

2 years of it, gave in, got a Tom cat of my own :)  he comes to stay in 10 days, only a few weeks old at the moment.  So I have given in, cant beat them, join in!!!

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2009, 23:30:04 »
Looks good and am sure the cats are very well looked after.  Not quite sure what I think, all my cats have always been free to roam, when the cats were young we had the occasional mouse, bird, frog caught by them.  Next doors cat got run over and killed so her cat now never let out.  Charlie (my stray cat) moved into my house 10 years ago from 3 doors away as the young children frightened him.  Have taken him home on several occasions but he was back at my house before I got there.  He now accepts my grandchildren as they have been taught to be very gentle with him as he was badly treated by children before and is scared.  We have a cat flap and he goes in and out as he pleases but is frightened of traffic and when big lorries come up the side of the house rushes in.  All my cats were only allowed in the back garden and if they went out of the front of the house were gently kicked back in or shouted at, they soon learnt.  I just think cats should be free to roam, but agree traffic and people that steal cats could be a worry.  Must admit having a half dead bird presented as a present on the bed at night did give me a screaming fit, but I suppose that is nature.  My siamese cat was always allowed out, but we did have a big garden and backed onto a park.  That was many years ago and if I had a siamese cat or pedigree cat nowadays would not be too happy about letting it out.  I didn't see any pictures of your cats, would like to.  Charlie is black and white and long haired, which is a pain as he needs brushing everyday.  His fur and coat are beautiful now but when I found him in the back garden he was starving, frightened and his coat was matted.  Had to get the vet to clip the matted fur.

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2009, 18:00:59 »
Olicat you have my sympathy. The local cats got used to using my back yard as a toilet for years before I moved in - I realised this when I went to plant some flowers in my lovely new flower beds and found that they consisted of about 90% catpoo and 10% soil! Nice!!!

I quite like cats and certainly don't want to poison them or anything. They are welcome to hang out in my back yard as long  they don't regard it as their personal latrine. I have tried just about everything short of anything actually harmful:

1. Olbas oil on teabags = didn't work
2. anti-cat granules/powder = didn't work
3. CDs and a mirror to reflect light = didn't work
4. Plastic bottles of water (apparently the reflections are meant to be scarey) = didn't work
5. Filling the beds with  many plants as possible = didn't work, they just squeezed in between the plants (and dug them up).
6. Keeping the soil wet = didn't work
7. Those scaredy cat plants that are meant to smell repellent =  got eaten by snails before they had a chance to work
8. Netting the entire bed off = kept them off the actual bed but they still crapped all over the edges of the net!
9. Sticking small sticks into the soil all over the beds to make them hard to dig in = works up to a point but you need 1000s of sticks
10. Putting very prickly bramble cuttings all over the surface of the soil = this works!!! and I'm sure cats are intelligent enough not to walk on the prickles and get injured.
11. chucking water at them mid-poo - this works (and is quite satisfying) but you have to lie in wait in a slightly obsessive way.   

Anyway after 6 years they have almost completely stopped. Almost. Good luck!  ;)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2009, 18:25:39 »
ELL,
         you have missed one off your list we caught the problem moggy at our gaff the other week with a brush full of creosote when I was doing the fence after trying everything you have described, the mangy thing just walks by these days, ;)

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2009, 18:47:34 »
At least with cats we don't get bird crap all over the patio, car and the washing.  No one seems to complain about that.  What is it about cat haters that makes them so spiteful???
The Tuscan Beaneater

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2009, 18:51:35 »
Some people can not help themselves.I was going to ignore Mr Smiths comment as he does enjoy winding people up,however you have found the right word.Food for thought.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2009, 20:19:55 »
What is  your problem Betula with me you have already insulted an elderly lady on the site this week who was asking a reasonable question, just because someone does not agree with your middle English views that you have stuck out there in Warwickshire I get a sarcastic comment off you, just go back and look through the posts, the folk that are reading this string are asking for help in trying to stop moggies crapping on THEIR property, they now have a solution if they care to read my previous post,

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2009, 20:23:54 »
What elderly lady?Do you mean the lady who wanted to make a cats toy out of a rabbit?She was only five years older than me and I do not class us as elderly.

If I saw you doing that to a cat I would report you to the police and the RSPCA and no this time I am not joking...so get lost.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2009, 20:42:21 »
Betula,
           Ha, ha, I'm really worried do you want my name and number? report me to the Cops and they would say 'What him again',  In our local magistrates court last year  a lad was up for shooting a cat and he still walking the streets, needles to say all the fluffy merchants like you had an orgasm, and by the way, the same to you  B---0--s, ;D

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2009, 23:02:49 »
Why do you do this, Mr Smith? What is it about being rude that gives you so much pleasure? The OP has already stated that she wouldn't hurt an animal. Her question has been answered, and you clearly have some issues with animals that you need to resolve so you resort to being rude to other members.

This would be a much happier place if you stuck to gardening, although I suspect you're out of depth there... Now, please try to respond without getting personal!

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2009, 07:40:46 »
Ollie,
         Betual is being responded to in the way she responds to me, and as for you try taking a piece of your own advice,  off down the lotty now to see if I know which end of the hoe to stick in :)

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2009, 11:39:51 »
I too wouldnt use creasote on a cat however, Mr Smith has a right to his opinion guys whether you like it or not.  :)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2009, 12:24:42 »
Cats are mostly very clean animals.  If you have a problem with one particular cat, and it is not yours, why not speak to the owner, and if they are reasonable, will probably provide a cat litter tray, either indoors or in their own garden.  My cat does poos in my small garden but I am on cat watch and bury it as it attracts flies.  I think there are worst things to worry about in life than cats but perhaps they like freshly dug soil and come for miles around to poo in your garden.  Unfortunately cats can't read so putting a sign up does no good.  I agree for a gardener is it annoying think the kindest solution is spraying water with a hose as most cats hate getting wet and may learn not to come to your garden again.  If my cat came home with creosate on and I knew you had done it I would be extremely angry.   

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2009, 12:34:06 »
solution?????....some may find graphic...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awYO4ArTsQg
Jackie

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2009, 13:03:05 »
Good idea for 'Dragons Den' give me £20,000 and I will invent a cat toilet.  Rather the cats went in the garden as don't fancy sharing a toilet with them, they can't flush or wash their paws after.  Poor cats, they have to go somewhere, my old cat got very distressed when it was snowing so got the cat litter tray out and he looked very worried using it.  Most cats are clean and bury it, abit too enthusiastic about it if one has seeds growing there, but after all they are cats.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2009, 22:08:00 »
we caught the problem moggy at our gaff the other week with a brush full of creosote when I was doing the fence

You sicko  >:(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal