Author Topic: New 'puter needed  (Read 1975 times)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
New 'puter needed
« on: September 20, 2004, 16:41:32 »
Looking to buy a new desk-top set up. Anyone got any no-no's or recommendations? Bare in mind I need it shipped to Belgium.

motherhenswebmaestro

• Not So New ...
Re:New 'puter needed
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 22:01:40 »
does your existing keyboard/monitor/sound work?
if so why  throw them out.?
Go to a 'little man/local student/knowledeable adolescent' , tell him what you want, he can take the usable bits off your old machine, add to them  and put the lot in a new box
-cheaper
-environmentally sound

motherhensWebmaestro
www.citychicken.co.uk/hosting .
gentoo linux/KDE/apache/MySql

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 22:35:54 »
Your making very good sense motherhenswebmaestro (is that your real name?) ??? I have a Son-in-Law that keeps telling me this and he has fixed quite a lot of computers for his workmates and friends and they keep coming back for more, :o so he must be doing something right, ??? or not charging enough. :P

Roy. ;D

Ozzy

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 22:45:57 »
My biggest NO NO ken is don't buy one from Britain..  you can buy puter with the same specs in Germany for a few Hundreds  pounds cheaper...  Britain is a rip off Ken... motherhenswebmaestro  suggestion is a good un.. and being a gardener/allotmenteer Ken u know the value of recycling..

ozzy

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2004, 00:12:39 »
My daughter has just finished building her own computer from recycled parts and she now has one that is even more powerful than the one I have!! She also has the satisfaction of knowing exactly what every part is and what it does so that if anything goes wrong she can pinpoint the problem without any hassle. Oz certainly has a point - the German computers are far cheaper than the ones you can buy here.

Eileen.

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 12:53:15 »
As an example; here in Belgium/France an HP t680 comes out at €1,469. In the UK (Dabs.com) it's €1,137. Snag is, they don't ship to Belgium!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal