Author Topic: Onion Advise please  (Read 895 times)

The Amateurs

• Not So New ...
Onion Advise please
« on: May 02, 2009, 09:54:32 »
We've been growing mammoth red and white onions in the greenhouse and they now seem to be strong enough to grow outside on their own.  Having never grown onions from seed before can anyone advise of the best way to plant and nurture them so they reach their full potential..

thanks

Claire

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Onion Advise please
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 10:20:52 »
so they reach their full potential..

Depends upon what you mean by this statement.

This info will give reasonable results http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Onions/Onions.htm but there is an A4A member going for the extra large onions who will I am sure give you his way complete with pictures

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
Re: Onion Advise please
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 19:53:03 »
We've been growing mammoth red and white onions in the greenhouse and they now seem to be strong enough to grow outside on their own.  Having never grown onions from seed before can anyone advise of the best way to plant and nurture them so they reach their full potential..

thanks

Claire

It depends on what you term as mommoth onions.

These are mine as of today but for me i just consider them to be big onions which will grow a lot bigger than Kelsee , Giant Fen or Bedfordshires.
A normal onion does not need any supoert nor would any of the above.
Plant your onions with about half an inch of the bulb in the ground, water them regular with just enough water to moisten the roots. feed them once a week.

[attachment=1][attachment=2]
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal