Author Topic: Recommend an ornamental grass please  (Read 4810 times)

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Recommend an ornamental grass please
« on: September 19, 2004, 10:08:48 »
I want to buy an ornamental grass for my garden but don't have a clue what to buy. I'm worried that I might buy something that ends up being a self seeding weed that I can't get rid of. Does anyone have any recommendations. I want something that does not get much bigger than 2 ft high.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Palustris

• Hectare
Re:Recommend an ornamental grass please
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 11:12:08 »
Be very suspicious of anything called Carex, most if not all of them are seed invasive or worse couch grass rooted!
Gardening is the great leveller.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 17:52:32 »
Imperata Cylindrica "Red Baron"
Full sun or half shade 30cm tall. its a beauty.
or smaller the black grass
Ophiopogon Nigrescens
Ebony Night, Black Mondo Grass is native to Japan
or our latest addition Pennisetum Setaceum "Rubrum"
the purple fountain Grass 2ft tall x1ft
so many to choose from.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2004, 18:02:59 »
If you can have a look in Ornamental Grasses by Roger Grounds. He gives a very good description of lots of different grasses, sedges, bamboos and reeds.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2004, 19:57:06 »
Palustris I did find a grass for sale on Ebay but when I looked up info on Google it called it an invasive grass, that's what got me worried about buying any old grass without recommendation. Thanks for the warning of the name, I wouldn't have known that.

Teresa, I had a look at the names you gave and I really like the Rubrum, I remember we had that in our garden when I was a child, so I'm off to Google now to see where I can get one from.

Thanks both.  :)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2004, 22:23:07 »
Be very suspicious of anything called Carex, most if not all of them are seed invasive or worse couch grass rooted!

Really Eric? I thought they were pretty harmless. Even the bronze ones? I have a cultivar names 'Milk Chocolate'. Am I OK with that?

To Jesseveve:

There are plenty of books on grasses you can get to help you. I have an RHS practical guide on grasses and bamboos. Its cheap (about a fiver i think) and has plenty of info on growing grasses and a database of popular types and their growing conditions.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2004, 23:10:29 »
The nature of grasses is to spread like all plants do.
but if you are realy worried about it do like you would for mint. Plant in a large pot ie large pot pair of wifes tights cut to shape of pot stops roots going through bottom plant and admire. cover in mulch or gravel feel safe and dont forget to water.
God forbid gardening should be easy  ::)

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2004, 10:14:33 »
I love Stipa grass’s I know they can be invasive but kept in pots they still look the biz. 8) Here are some pony tails I used to have on the pond edge.

Another one I really like is the Stipa gigantea' looks proud and majestic take a peek :D
http://www.crocus.co.uk/findplant/results/?ContentType=Plant_Card&ClassID=2048&CategoryID=

Roy ;D ;D

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2004, 10:44:04 »
I went shopping last night and browsed through loads of different grasses, didn't realise there were so many out there. I really liked the Pennisetum Setaceum but all the info I found said that it likes a light soil, which I don't have. So I found one called "Varigated Purple Moor Grass" which likes a moist and neutral to acid soil, which I do have. So I have ordered this and if I don't kill it then I may try some others. I might still try growing the Pennisetum Setaceum in a pot, but where on earth am I going to put it, there just isn't enough space! Thanks for all the suggestions.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2004, 16:58:09 »
Pennisetum setaceum is not fully hardy so may need winter protection depending on where you live.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal