Author Topic: Sowing Squash...clingfilm??????  (Read 1280 times)

Hector

• Hectare
Sowing Squash...clingfilm??????
« on: April 25, 2009, 10:48:10 »
I have been reading about sowing squash. I want to sow Hunter and on Marshalls site it says...
Sowing Indoors

Sow seeds individually on edge in small pots of moist seed compost 2cm (1in) deep. Place in warmth 15-18C (60-65F) and cover the pots with cling film until seedlings emerge. Grow on under cool, light conditions, but not in bright sun.

Is this because they need high humidity? If not, would I still need this if I have a greenhouse
Also, do they need tall pots for avoiding root disturbance or would I be ok putting them in seed trays with propagator type tops?
Jackie

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
Re: Sowing Squash...clingfilm??????
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 11:00:57 »
I have been reading about sowing squash. I want to sow Hunter and on Marshalls site it says...
Sowing Indoors

Sow seeds individually on edge in small pots of moist seed compost 2cm (1in) deep. Place in warmth 15-18C (60-65F) and cover the pots with cling film until seedlings emerge. Grow on under cool, light conditions, but not in bright sun.

Is this because they need high humidity? If not, would I still need this if I have a greenhouse
Also, do they need tall pots for avoiding root disturbance or would I be ok putting them in seed trays with propagator type tops?

The cling film is to stop the compost drying out and keeps humidity relatively stable. In a greenhouse you could cover with cling film but keep the pots out of direct sun as it could get too hot. If the greenhouse is unheated it could get quite cold at night - so indoors might be best.
Squash seedlings grow fast and would soon out grow a shallow seed tray so deep pots are your best bet.
Plenty of light is needed once the seedlings are up - they will bend towards the light and get straggly otherwise. Quite tricky if you have to leave them on a windowsill all day as they could get too hot in direct sunlight.

Having said all that they grow so quick and vigorously that as long as they don't dry out on a hot day they should be fine.
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

Hector

• Hectare
Re: Sowing Squash...clingfilm??????
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 11:22:46 »
many thanks for that. I have a tall propagator lid, so will put them in taller pots under that and put on a windowsill
Jackie

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal