Author Topic: 1 of my chickens just died  (Read 2678 times)

xlynettex

• Quarter Acre
1 of my chickens just died
« on: April 20, 2009, 17:26:06 »
1 of my chickens just died suddenly, heard a noise and found her in one of the corners of the run struggling and flipping  about and a small amount of blood coming from her mouth. her neck very limp. i got her out put her in a cat box where she struggled a few more times then died. i have check her over and no other signs of anything. she was happy earlier , lay ed an egg making her usual noises,  i`m not sure if trying to fly or flap her wings she knocked herself hard against the coop or what.

any ideas would be helpfull in frying to guess what happened

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: 1 of my chickens just died
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 22:04:03 »
Unsure of the initial cause.  Maybe it was a reaction to mite bites of sorts?  The struggling and flipping is the hen usually fitting in the last moment of their life as the body shuts down.  Sometimes there is no explanation as to the premature end of its cycle.  One of my hens did this earlier this year after being ill.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 22:11:24 »
could she have had a heart attack? The books say that chickens don't have good hearts and any strain can cause a heart attack. I don't know how true this is as i've only had chickens for 2 years. At least she didn't suffer long :'(

Peasticks

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 22:16:22 »
Its possible she could have had a fright

Do doulble check there wasn't anything she could have eaten that could affect the rest like a poisoned mouse, poisonous plants etc...

xlynettex

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 08:08:49 »
reading all my books, as i`v only had my girls 5 weeks there is no noticeable signs of anything and she has not been ill. so can only put it down to that heart attack, maybe i`m feeding them to much as the book says.   :(

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 08:26:11 »
The only thing you can do is to keep an eye on the others. If they are ok it might just have been the strain of coming into lay on a weak heart.

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 11:11:14 »
We had the same thing happen last week. Chickens were all apparently happy, laying and healthy in the morning and at lunchtime we found one had died, no signs of blood, violence etc and we too put it down to a heart attack. The hens have been laying quite heavily recently so maybe it was the strain and I doubt it would be over feeding  - it's sad but it happens.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 18:28:17 »
I am sorry for your loss I would go with heart atack a sudden shock like flying into something will bring one on. Look forward and enjoy the ones you have nature is crule but rewards are high.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal