Author Topic: Argh greenfly and other acursed bugs  (Read 1027 times)

Inky

• Quarter Acre
Argh greenfly and other acursed bugs
« on: July 07, 2009, 12:55:25 »
I have them on everything, they seem to be rife in the area at the moment, Roses have been worst hit but thats another area entirely. I have been spraying my tomatoes and cucumbers, which seem to more be affacted by blackfly, and today I have an assortment of flies and eggs on my cabbages. So Im going to have to arrange some sort of netting, Im guessing very fine netting to keep blackflies off. What should I use? Also I only have a small number of cabbage in this bed (3) so I dont want to cover the whole of a bed, plus I want to keep it as ornamental a garden as possible, is there anything niceish looking that will do the job?

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
Re: Argh greenfly and other acursed bugs
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 13:01:06 »
A large enough cloche covered in something like enviromesh might work.

You could try buying some ladybirds instead of spraying? Our beans looked pretty bad (blackfly) so squashed and sprayed with dilute washing up liquid. Then the ladybirds got going and the problem has pretty much gone away.

Inky

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 13:56:46 »
I have just been spraying with soapy water at the moment. The ladybirds sound a good idea. But what can I do about catapillars, as Im sure some of the eggs I just squished looks like em.

Inky

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 14:09:55 »
I just came across this
http://www.just-green.com/438/Just-Green-Just-Caterpillar-Killer-.html
While looking for ladybirds, and wondered if anyone else had tried it and if its anygood. I would like to avoid netting if possible, so If I can just beat the bugs by treating the plants it would be a lot better.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal