Author Topic: Stolen Manure  (Read 23096 times)

Kea

• Hectare
Stolen Manure
« on: April 20, 2009, 11:34:26 »
Just back from holiday I popped up to my plot yesterday for a quick check only to find someone had stolen all but a tiny bit of my manure pile! >:(
Unbelievable.......it must have taken several hours in full view of anyone who was there.

I have been informed it might be a new plotholder who thought it was a communal heap........so when are communal heaps covered in weed suppressant fabric and carpet?

Now i will have to fork out £50 for a delivery of well rotted manure to replace my heap which after nearly a year was nicely rotted down.

i have to say I'm livid, having only just had my incinerator stolen a couple of months ago I'm wondering if everybody thinks my plot is a help yourself plot.

daileg

• Hectare
Re: Stolen Manure
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 11:45:47 »
 Kea

I think you need to re word that a little the new plot holder will be forking out for a £ 50 well rotted manure pile on your behalf then i would watch im barrow it to where you want it whilst your sitting on a chair in the blazing sun drinking a nice cup of tea and dunking your bickies

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 11:47:19 »
So sorry to read this Kea.

It recently happened on our site, the guy in the plot next to mine. It was there and then it wasn't, I'd just assumed he'd dug it all in. Bean poles went walkabouts too, hence me painting mine, but it's a little more difficult with manure you can't really paint that can you?   ::)

They're the light fingered, not green fingered brigade  >:(

Linda

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 11:49:24 »
I have to track them down first!
But my informant was pretty certain and seemed to think I shouldn't be too cross because 'they are a nice couple'!

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 11:55:21 »
Yes my next incinerator is going to not only have name and postcode (like the last one did!) but it will be padlocked to a metal stake driven well into the ground.

i thought about a paint effect to make it look rusty as I notice the rusty ones don't get stolen mine was 3 years old and hadn't gone rusty so it was very inviting.
However manure is much more difficult can't mark it in anyway.......though you would think someone who has been there longer might have pointed out that if it's covered up like that it belongs to someone.....even when I was a newbie i could tell that the covered heaps belonged to someone without asking.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 12:03:15 »
You need to find someone with a horse,  friend told me yesterday that she has piles of well rotted manure and cannot get rid of it.

Can't you gently tell your 'nice' couple they have made a bit of a mistake?

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 12:10:13 »
I know someone with a horse but I don't have a trailer or van and only a small boot plus an OH who doesn't want manure carted about in the back of the car and I would have to drive backwards and forwards many times to collect the manure from about 10 miles away it would actually cost me more than the £50 for the organic composted down manure from a horse charity.

I will be telling the nice couple of their mistake don't you worry! And I will be nice about it.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 12:44:00 »
I have permission from the plot holder next to mine, who is giving it up, to help myself.  I still feel like a criminal and always ask her when I see her so she can see what I am taking, she may well want to take it home.  I would put a big sign up, KEEP OFF MY ALLOTMENT, or else.  Most people on our site stay on their own allotment and only go on other peoples at their invitation.  Can't understand what they were doing on your allotment in the first place, let alone taking your manure.  I did have a peace lily stolen when I first took on the plot but think that was a genuine mistake as it was the only thing I had planted and the allotment was still overgrown, but I was still upset when I saw a big hole and no plant. Hope you get it sorted.

dingerbell

• Half Acre
  • A very productive morning
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 13:34:47 »
Some people. I know it's not the most sociable thing to do but last year I went down to my allotment to find someone rotovating their plot with MY rotovator...the nerve of the bloke. He whinged and gave me a mouthfull of expletives when I asked for a contribution for the petrol used. I'm having the last laugh though because I topped his water butt up with Roundup...that'll sort his seedlings out.
Don't have a go at me because this lottie holder is well known for his anti social behaviour....bl**dy incomers!!

starting out

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 16:57:45 »
Some people. I know it's not the most sociable thing to do but last year I went down to my allotment to find someone rotovating their plot with MY rotovator...the nerve of the bloke. He whinged and gave me a mouthfull of expletives when I asked for a contribution for the petrol used. I'm having the last laugh though because I topped his water butt up with Roundup...that'll sort his seedlings out.
Don't have a go at me because this lottie holder is well known for his anti social behaviour....bl**dy incomers!!

;D LMAO Bet he doesnt use your tools again. How did he come to get access to your rotovator?

Im bery new to the allotment but the other plot holders seem a friendly bunch and we are already giving each other stuff and letting people use each others things. I love it up there.

siandc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 21:49:33 »
Personally , if you find out for sure I'd supply them with some human or dog "manure"!  >:(

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 21:57:59 »
Oh dear I borrowed my neighbours hose pipe today,  Hope she does not have any roundup, though I did water her seedlings as a rental charge.

PJW_Letchworth

• Half Acre
    • the allotment - plot 36a
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 22:38:16 »
Blimey!   :o  RoundUp!  Remind me to never upset you!  ;D
"I will be really pleased when I've had enough of this"

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 22:43:09 »
Even if someone did the most heinous thing I could think of I dont think I could ever lower myself to put weedkiller in their water butt, maybe I'm a soft touch.

Best laid plans and all that

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 22:45:10 »
I topped his water butt up with Roundup...

Do you find that a reasonable response? personally (I'll hold back) I find that amazing and if it was up to me you'd be of the site faster than a rabbit down a drain pipe.

lushy86

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 22:49:02 »
I'm with you Ted, that seems like a terrible thing to do, surely there is another way to deal with this person -  two wrongs...etc...etc

Lushy x
Make mine a large one!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 23:03:05 »

Yes they did wrong.I hope you were only joking about the Roundup.Your crime would be far worse than the one they did. >:(

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 09:35:49 »
Hope you're able to get something sorted out Kea. Its just a real no no going onto someone elses plot if they're not there, let alone taking anything. It also sounds like the other plot holders just stood back and watched when they must have known it wasn't communal etc.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 09:50:22 »
Yes there is one guy I'm friendly with who is there all the time ...he better have been away on holiday!!!!!
It must have taken them a couple of hours at least to take my manure.

I haven't checked my wheelbarrow is still there in it's hiding spot :o

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 10:26:35 »
I haven't checked my wheelbarrow is still there in it's hiding spot :o   

Ahh, sounds like you now have the motive and the means established ..........

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal