Produce > Pests & Diseases

Can I compost......

<< < (2/2)

john_miller:
Our temperatures of -30C don't seem to bother it, it is endemic here and arrives every year in August. I imagine that now that it is endemic in Europe even composting, or not, your old plant parts will not make a great deal of difference to whether you get infection or not as there will be so much infected plant remains left undisturbed by others that the infection reservoir will be huge. I seem to remember reading somewhere that deadly nightshade is a symptomless host and I'm sure there is enough of that around to keep the fungus proliferating on it's own. Anyone seen anything contrary or confirming?

Palustris:
Also read somewhere that heating peat (I presume your Growing bags are peat based, most of them are) causes it to become poisonous to plants. Just a vague memory so not sure about it, but worth checking.
If you do use a steam stripper to sterilise material, I found it easiest to spread the stuff out on a concrete area about 2 to 3 centimetres deep. Don't know about getting rid of fungal spores, but it did clean out vine weevil grubs and eggs as well as slug and snail and sciarid flies too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version