Author Topic: peas and beans  (Read 2021 times)

mick-64

• Not So New ...
peas and beans
« on: April 12, 2009, 20:32:19 »
Hi

I am new to gardening BE gentle...so new I planted the whole galic bulb... ::)

I have planted peas and runner beans and I thought they were going to just grow and I would not have to use my brain at all...

The peas started coming up afer a week ,then I looked on the internet and I need tresseling so I have started equiring sticks from the local wood ,now my beans are coming up they look bigger than the peas ,should I build the bean one first bearing in mind I can only take one stick a day or I might be arrested... ::)

Mick..

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
Re: peas and beans
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 20:35:13 »
are you beans dwarf one? :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 21:47:17 »
Are they broad beans, climbing beans or dwarf beans? At this time of year, I'm guessing the first.

mick-64

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 05:57:31 »
hi

Haricot nain ,fin de bagnols..Sorry it is in French...The picture is long thing beans..

little pud

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 07:57:22 »
thought it be a bit early for runners or french climbers, my broad beans are only just coming through, but if they are climbers I use canes, they are pretty cheap and u can use them year after year. If your new to all this then keep coming bk to this site, you get a lot of useful information.  ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 09:29:37 »
It's a bit early for climbing beans yet, but you might be lucky. I haven't got as far as planting mine.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 23:17:37 »
Peas want twiggy sticks, like old brushwood to grow through and over... or string some coarse netting up.... dwarf french beans will want about a thrtee-foot cane, full-on climbers about a seven-foot one but you can start them on a short one if you want.... my father used to grow runners up a couple of pieces of Heras fencing nailed to half telegraph poles... tad industrial but it took everything the weather could throw at it.....

mick-64

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 07:41:01 »
[quote  _Brenchley link=topic=50649.msg513856#msg513856 date=1239611377]
It's a bit early for climbing beans yet, but you might be lucky. I haven't got as far as planting mine.
[/quote]

Now you tell me... :o

To be honest I just bought lots of seeds and threw them in ,maybe that is why I have about 100 lettuces.. ::)

thanks for your replys... ;D

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 11:34:53 »
hi

Haricot nain ,fin de bagnols..Sorry it is in French...The picture is long thing beans..

Haricot Nain means 'dwarf bean'. I don't often bother to support mine but they might need it.

Watch out for frost - it kills bean plants. If there's one coming, cloche them or lay something over them overnight - ideally horticultural fleece but failing that newspapers cardboard boxes etc - (fastened down). If they are still small enough 2 litre plastic bottles with the pouring end cut off might do.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 11:49:27 »
PS Anything with 'rames' in the title or description is a climber but, judging by their seed selling web sites, the French don't seem to be very keen on climbing beans

mick-64

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 06:48:08 »
I finished the cowboy posts

here is the bean

do you think I should see what happends ? maybe a few small sticks...?

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 06:57:38 »
Have you got any fleece or protective plastic stuff to give them some extra warmth and protection? I haven't sown any yet, but on my plots some people have planted a few out but they are all under plastic, so that might help as well

Like the "Cowboy posts" Saddle Up!!  ;D

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 08:26:59 »
what are cowboy posts? ??? have you got sheep in the field behind? if so you should have enough fleece ;D ;D ;D

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 12:18:23 »
what are cowboy posts? ??? have you got sheep in the field behind? if so you should have enough fleece ;D ;D ;D

ROFL  ;D  ;D  ;D

mick-64

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 20:26:33 »
have you got sheep in the field behind? if so you should have enough fleece ;D ;D ;D

Not mine unfortually ,won`t they squash the peas ,mmm mushy peas...

I could not find mushy pea seeds... ???

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 09:33:36 »
Cover each bean with a plasic bottle before Saturday night when things might get a bit cold and windy.   Cut the bottom off the bottle and remove the lid, perhaps cover with fleece as well.  ~You will have to watch the weather for several weeks yet.  If they are climbers then on cold night you can cover the whole row slicks and all will old newspaper and old sheets.

Otherwise dig them up and plant into pots and put out in a few weeks.  If they die try again in about three weeks.  Ssite looks a bit exposed.

I have a few outside well covered and in a very sheltered spot but it is a bit of a gamble.
Three years ago I did manage runner beans for 1st June. :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal