Author Topic: Jumping on the bandwagon?  (Read 1853 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Jumping on the bandwagon?
« on: April 14, 2009, 11:19:17 »
Did anyone catch the item on Woman's Hour today about growing your own Tomatoes?  It was so bad I've just tried to listen to it again on their website but the item is 'not available'.  I have no idea who Alys Fowler is but her advice was 'whacky' to say the least.   ???  ::)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
Re: Jumping on the bandwagon?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 11:28:18 »
no but i'll have to find it now :) what did she say?

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 11:33:46 »
It's not available yet.  Alys used to be the behind-the-scenes head gardener at Berryfields on GW then they brought her in front of the camera and she now presents in her own right.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 11:55:15 »
What was this mysterious advice?

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 12:13:36 »
Been around a bit?

;D Has she really and she looks so nice too!!

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 12:19:49 »
Why does she try to look like a middle aged woman from the sixties period?

???

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 12:20:45 »
Not really the place for this, but I am reminded of the bit which says grow on till the first flowers show before planting out.

OK - I'm a failure. Never, in all my (many) days, have I achieved this. Unless plants have been stunted & starved.

So, what am I missing??

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 12:27:37 »
The two bits of daft advice which stick in my mind were to water the pricked out seedlings every day (presumably whether they need it or not!) and when hardening off the plants to cover them with a cardboard box over night.  One gust of wind and the pots would be all over the shop is my guess.  But I really need to listen again as I was shouting at the radio!   ;D

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 12:47:16 »
Checking them for watering each day and covering them with a weighted cardboard box seems pretty good advice to me.

Maybe she is assuming some degree of competence rather than the normal patronising presenters?

Best laid plans and all that

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 12:54:31 »
poor old alice (she from gardeners world). i quite like her really but i have to say i have never heard anyone make tomato growing sound sooo difficult!  i felt a bit sorry for her really as she was just trying to give good advice but seemed to be digging herself a bigger and bigger hole as she went on.  i think if anyone was considering growing toms for the first time then it would have put them right off. o dear o dear.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 13:32:11 »
I've had flowers on the odd one when I planted out, but I've never bothered waiting. I've seen the advice before though. Checking whether they need watering daily is never a bad idea, though I don't do it. The cardboard box might be a good idea if there's any risk of frost, but they shouldn't be outside in that case.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 14:25:56 »
Well I stand by my original post having just listened again.  How that was supposed to encourage folks to try growing their own is beyond me.  And yes she did say 'water every day' and no she didn't mention weighting down the cardboard box.  If you've got seven minutes to spare here's the link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/womanshour/01/2009_15_tue.shtml

G x

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 14:48:17 »
I guess she expected people to use a bit of nounce, if they think their box is going to blow over then to put a brick on the top etc etc.  Otherwise she might as well say...

'place a cardboard box over the top in order to protect them, but make sure it is empty first, also make sure you do not cut your finger on any staples in the lids etc etc'  ;)

Best laid plans and all that

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 06:37:18 »
I've just listened to this lady and find that if I use a little bit of common sense then I have no problem with it

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 10:00:12 »
 :) I think  Alys brings a breath of fresh air to gardeners world along with Carol and Sarah Raven (where is she now?) and I do like her wacky ideas, anyone can follow the crowd, I find its best to be different it confuses people ;D

Alys buys her spec frames from charity shops. I must admit she looks like one of the ladies in the Far Side comic strips ;D/ shadesx
grow your own way

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 10:06:04 »
I think you wil find if you listen again, she said stand them in a cardboard box  while they are hardening off.
Then cover the top of this with newspaper if frost threatens..
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 10:37:55 by growmore »
Cheers .. Jim

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 10:48:00 »
and to be fair it is unusual to have frost and wind together in this country, esp., as the season comes on...  :-X

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009, 08:28:39 »
now you've done it!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal