Author Topic: Leg of Lamb - strange smell  (Read 45988 times)

lushy86

• Hectare
Leg of Lamb - strange smell
« on: April 12, 2009, 22:39:51 »
I got a lovely (so I thought) half price leg of New Zealand lamb from Tesco.  Usually try to buy welsh but was such a good price.  Invited ma, my best mate and her bab to join the three of us for big roastie.

When I took it out of the wrapper I thought it had a faintly funny smell so rinsed it then did the usual garlic and rosemary it looked fine.  As it was cooking got mum to have a sniff she said it was ok but I still thought is smelled strange.  As I was carving I tasted it and started to worry it had a funny taste, again mum said it was ok so served it.  We soon realised that there was a horrible taint to it - almost chemical so we all left it.  I had a good pick over and notice that the meat nearer the bone seemed ok whereas nearer the outside was definately tainted.  Will take it back tomorrow but it totally spoiled dinner and made me feel nervous that we all might get repercussions!  We think it must have either been transported with some kind of cleaning fluid or something.  Wierd tho  ??? ???

Hope you all had a lovely choccy day

Lushy x
Make mine a large one!

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Re: Leg of Lamb - strange smell
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 22:49:52 »
Oh what a shame.  I saw that Tesco were selling half price legs of lamb and would have got one but they were shut today, pleased now that I didn't.  Hope you had plenty of vegetables but it must have spoilt your dinner.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 23:24:13 »
That's dreadful! When did you buy it and how did you store it before cooking it today? Please, when you take it back, ask for proper compensation; after all the Easter Day meal is one of the just two traditional family gathering meals we have on our calendar :o All the best,

Lishka

little pud

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 08:13:40 »
may of been a good idea to not of cooked it perhaps, then took it bk as now they might say you stored it next to something smelly, anything nowadays to get out of it. good luck anyway

AndrewB

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 08:26:05 »
Same thing happened to me on Saturday - very weird -  the smell was like manure on ours  put me right off - also new Zealand lamb but from Waitrose.  The thick end was ok but the thinner end went to the cats.

wetandcold

• Half Acre
    • Not on a gardening theme!
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 08:45:18 »
Me too, but from Sainsbury's! We didn't even cook ours as it smelled horrible. On the label it actually says that there might be a slight smell when you first open the wrapper but that this should dissipate after a short while. We left it for a couple of hours and it was certainly no better.

Managed to get a full refund plus a bit more just by telephoning the helpline.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 08:49:14 »
I bought a couple of the legs from Sainsburys, froze one & had one last weekend. The thin end tasted a bit over-aged, but the main bit was fine... we ate it all!

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 09:17:23 »
I had a leg of lamb last month that tasted funny.  Bought from Sainsburys 3 weeks before.   I have ofton kept meat in the freezer for longer but not now.    I did wonder what it was.  Seems there  might have been a certain batch  from from N.Z do you think.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 09:33:19 »
So glad that we  don't eat lamb
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Jeanbean

• Half Acre
  • Make the most of today....
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 12:53:24 »
Oh dear. :( We have NZ lamb from Tesco's for tonight. Have just been into the kitchen and retrieved it from the oven where it was set to automatically come on later this afternoon. ( intended being over the lotty but the rain has come down). Took it out of the tin and took a good sniff. No apparent nasty smell so I think I'll take a chance. A bit worrying that lamb from different stores are not smelling as they should. What does anyone think it might be? :-\

little pud

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 13:57:26 »
mmmmmmm, not sure, but I have just cooked one from asda and it smells and tastes GREAAAAAT.  :P

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 14:05:11 »
Definately take it back, doesn't matter if you cooked it. Do you have the receipt or the wrapper for batch code? I would also make a note of the batch number and write to head office claiming a spoilt celebration. Tesco are the worst supermarket ever. Ocado are price checked against Waitrose and have superb customer service!!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 16:47:43 »
Definately take it back, doesn't matter if you cooked it. Do you have the receipt or the wrapper for batch code? I would also make a note of the batch number and write to head office claiming a spoilt celebration. Tesco are the worst supermarket ever. Ocado are price checked against Waitrose and have superb customer service!!

Spot-on! You're right in all of it (batch code - presume your rubbish collection hasn't happened today, lushy? ::) if you can find it, but most certainly hammer the spoilt celebration bit. Even if you've already contacted the local shop, it's worth that letter. Really disturbed to read reports that so many of you have experienced the same :o

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 16:56:45 »
 You take that lamb back & demand a refund + comp for your spoiled Easter lunch, ask to see butcher manager if no joy ask for store manager, please do not let them fob you off , ask to make a complaint form out.
Let us know how you get on please. Good luck.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 18:24:58 »
 :oOH has just put a half-price leg of lamb fromSainsbury's in the oven.He doidn't say anything about a smell so hope it's ok!

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 18:57:33 »
Whenever I have lamb it smells strange............mind you,it is kebeb shaped and covered in garlic mayo and mint yoghurt  ;) ;D ;D
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Fat Andy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 19:26:12 »
Whenever I have lamb it smells strange............mind you,it is kebeb shaped and covered in garlic mayo and mint yoghurt  ;) ;D ;D

Clearly using the word "lamb" in its very loosest sense  ;D

We had 2 legs of lamb today, one from Waitrose, one from Tesco (it was a family dinner with the in-laws, I hasten to add).  Both were absolutely fine, but the Waitrose one was slightly more tender.

FA x

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2009, 19:49:38 »
This evening we had one of the "special offer" legs of lamb bought from Sainsbury yesterday.  There was no bad smell to it though the wrapper warned that there could be one when the vaccumed pack was opened.  Ours was really delicious and very tender.  I am sorry to hear that some of you have not been so fortunate.

Jeanbean

• Half Acre
  • Make the most of today....
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2009, 19:55:20 »
Just to say that our leg of lamb from Tescos was very tender and tasted beautiful. The tainted one should be returned as others have said and the supermarket should fully refund the money plus extra for the spoilt family lunch

edukes

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2009, 22:27:25 »
I had to reply to this, just to let you know you're not going mad.
I hate new Zealand lamb. always have , for the last 25 years of my adult live i have insisted on welsh/british lamb, the reason for this...... new zealand lamb tastes weird, and it always has done. it has a mutton taste to it and the fact it's been shrink wrapped in plastic and placed in a hold of a refrigerated container ship and shipped half way across the world does'nt help the taste.
moral of the story...... buy British :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal