Author Topic: Leg of Lamb - strange smell  (Read 45990 times)

lewic

• Hectare
Re: Leg of Lamb - strange smell
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2009, 22:46:16 »
Oh yuk.. this is why I hate red meat. Take it back for a refund.. or give it a decent burial!!

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2009, 07:37:20 »
hear hear Edukes!  Come on lottie people we should be buying British. No point us saving foodmiles growing our own veg and then buying something easily available here from the other side of the world!!   :)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2009, 08:52:59 »
and most of the NZ lamb is imported by Bernard Mathews!! eugh!!
You couldn't make it up!

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2009, 09:31:33 »
I remember a study from last year that found NZ lamb produced less CO2 than homegrown stuff, even after the journey half way around the world... and anyway what's wrong with supporting Kiwi farmers? They produce lamb when ours isn't really in season, at a better price, to a generally high standard (apart from this lot!)... I didn't realise that St Bernard was involved though... that does give cause for concern. Mechanically reclaimed textured lamb protein anyone? Yummy!

wetandcold

• Half Acre
    • Not on a gardening theme!
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2009, 09:36:59 »
hear hear Edukes!  Come on lottie people we should be buying British. No point us saving foodmiles growing our own veg and then buying something easily available here from the other side of the world!!   :)

I quite agree, but it isn't always as easy as that. The supermarkets around here only seem to sell useless tiny scrappy bits of British lamb and unfortunately the independent butchers are few and far between... :-[ We make a point of stocking up on all kinds of meat whenever we come across a decent butcher on our travels!

I think this is a sign of the times unfortunately. Maybe Jamie Oliver can campaign for British Lamb now - we seem to now get a better range of free-range chicken and british pork at a reasonable cost in the shops now so maybe the public are winning!?

lushy86

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2009, 19:48:24 »
Well, I stupidly have not taken it back yet, was going to this morning then thought cba - at least we are all ok, but you are all right, wonder if its too late now??

Don't have the wrapper tho, strangely spent last night going through the rubbish with my marigolds on looking for my 15 year old's retainer (teeth braces) - Yuk!  She later found it in the lounge - of course  >:( so can't face that again!

I hate tesco abd try to avoid it when possible and  I should follow my instincts and buy British, I knew I should have. 

Maybe I'll do it tomorrow and just say I have been too busy growing decent food on my allotment!!

Worrying that others have had the same problem  ???

Lushy x
Make mine a large one!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2009, 20:18:06 »
Lushy, someone up-thread said that they didn't go, but merely telephoned? So..if you can't do one, please do the other, and no! it's not too late. So many people round my way are still on hol as, of course, are the schools and yesterday itself was a Bank Holiday, so......well, so that's your tomorrow sorted for you then 8)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2009, 20:32:57 »
Just a thought, not convinced that the lamb was actually off or would cause anyone food poisoning, or else we would hear more about it, as the offer at Tesco was quite well advertised and many, many people must have bought it and eaten it.  Maybe it is something to do with the plastic it is sealed in.  I cut the plastic off and run the lamb under the cold tap, that seems to get rid of the smell, then I cook it and it seems OK.  This was not the Tesco offer but any lamb that has been frozen and wrapped in plastic.  I am sure that if the lamb that has been sold in many supermarkets caused any health problems we will soon hear about it.  It is s.d's law that whenever one has visitors things seem to go wrong, that is why nowadays I only cook for OH.  That is not to say that if you were dissatisfied and it spoilt your dinner not to tell the shop.  They are normally quite good at dealing with complaints.

lushy86

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2009, 20:52:23 »
Thanks Hyacinth - yes I will go tomorrow and phne, I'll let you know what they say.

Borlotti - I thought that which is why i rinsed it and it could well be that tho it was bought as fesh and not frozen.  We wondered if it was tainted by something it travelled with - the smell seemed chemical though s omeone up thread described a manure smell - which could describe it tho not the nice well rotted stuff!

It is a shame but we did have lots of lovely veg and gravy to go with it followed by home made choc fudge pudding and cream so all was not lost  :) 8)

Lushy x
Make mine a large one!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2009, 20:53:08 »
I haven't noticed anything wrong with ours.

http://www.dunsburyfarm.co.uk/index.html

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2009, 21:02:42 »

Ah ACE, but we're not all as minted as you... This stuff is £4.50 a kilo, and I've not got a job at the moment! About £7 and we got the meat to do 3 meals for 2 adults & a child (roast, curry, pie)... We'll give your chops a go when I'm working again - it does look slightly better!

lushy86

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2009, 21:03:45 »
Funny you should say that Ace, we have half a lamb on order from someone OH works with, apparently it is growing well, though how it gets around on two legs I don't know!! ;D

Lushy x
Make mine a large one!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2009, 21:33:23 »
They run in the field right next to our nursery. They are all numbered, when we see the shepherd we always joke about looking after no. 32 as it is on special order.

lushy86

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2009, 21:38:46 »
Ours is called mint sauce  :)

Lushy x
Make mine a large one!

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2009, 21:42:21 »

The price seems very wrong. I only pay £1.80 per kg if buying a whole lamb or £2 per kg for a half lamb from the local butchers it's locally produced & they could tell me which field it came from if I wanted to know.

With regard to New Zealand lamb, it's supposed to look unappetising & smell strange when you open the vac pac. You are supposed to leave it for a while so it can bloom & the odour can dissipate.
http://www.newzealandlamb.org/main.cfm?menuid=16#Vacuum

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2009, 13:32:57 »

nice:...

With regard to New Zealand lamb, it's supposed to look unappetising & smell strange when you open the vac pac. You are supposed to leave it for a while so it can bloom & the odour can dissipate.
http://www.newzealandlamb.org/main.cfm?menuid=16#Vacuum

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2009, 14:27:04 »
The price seems very wrong. I only pay £1.80 per kg if buying a whole lamb or £2 per kg for a half lamb from the local butchers it's locally produced & they could tell me which field it came from if I wanted to know.

£1.80 per kilo? In London you're looking at over £12 per kilo for leg of lamb.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2009, 14:52:39 »
Glad I don't live in London then.
There are very low transport costs round here it goes from the farm to the abbatoir to the butchers all are fairly close to each other. It is then cut up as requested, bagged up (not too much packaging) & only costs £1.80 per kg if you are buying a whole lamb. That price does include the weight of the bones which are bagged up to use for stock & any excess fat which is trimmed at the butchers.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 15:18:45 by Baccy Man »

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2009, 15:15:26 »
Very envious  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal