Author Topic: Low Maintinance Allotment Greenhouse  (Read 2001 times)

Carls3168

• Half Acre
    • The Pellon Allotment
Low Maintinance Allotment Greenhouse
« on: April 08, 2009, 11:28:00 »
Can anyone help with the below please?

I've got a greenhouse up at the plot, but with increased work pressures and not being able to guarantee getting to the plot (I work away alot) / holidays etc I am looking ahead to the issues of watering / ventilation.  :-\

I already have 'auto vents' installed in the roof and wall, and am now considering keeping the plants watered...

Basic idea so far is:-

1. Install a water butt inside the greenhouse, filled with a pipe from the guttering (or watering can when dry)
2. From this run some pipe (maybe copper), bunged at the end, with small holes drilled into it to 'drip' water onto the growbags

Can anyone see any probs with this - obviously I wont be able to regulate the flow of water for hot / shady days - any other comments or suggestions???  ???

Oh, and the big point of this project is it needs to be FREE materials found or scrounged used... I'm on a mission this year to spend the very minimum on the plot wherever possible!  ;D

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: Low Maintinance Allotment Greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 21:41:47 »
very difficult to guage the amount of water to the plants. they need about 1 ltr per day. as the level in the waterbutt falls, so does the pressure, and therefore the flow rate. why not plant in the border? in bottomless buckets, with a good soak they can be left unattended for 4 - 5 days at a time. however, the fruit will need picking regularly, and if you are going to be away for long periods you  need to find someone to tend your plants! ;)
automation does go awry, sometimes!!
You couldn't make it up!

Carls3168

• Half Acre
    • The Pellon Allotment
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 22:03:47 »
Cheers Tonybloke,

Unfortunatly my greenhouse floor is all slabs, so no border to plant anything into!
Was talking to a fellow plotter about this and he suggested planting into holey buckets, stood in trays with old tea towels under the buckets, set the pipe up to 'drip' water into the trays, and the plants would take up moisture out of the towels as needed without them being stood in water????
Also mixing the compost with water retaining gel type stuff for hanging baskets
Could be an idea  ???

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 07:56:35 »
I bought a hozelok water timer and drip setupp from wilkinsons. Set it up to a waterbutt you just have to make sure the butts topped up. Means i can go every other day if i can't get.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 08:11:24 »
If your time is that short I would suggest mothballing the greenhouse until quieter times. You'd be better off with a focus on hardy outdoor veg that will survive without daily attention.

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 09:00:15 »
Water timer for sale at Lidl £12 .99

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal