Author Topic: The Joy of burning  (Read 4969 times)

lushy86

• Hectare
The Joy of burning
« on: April 05, 2009, 21:53:07 »
Had a bonfire at the end of the day today

TOTAL JOY  :) :) :)

So wonderful to watch some of that horrible couch and brambles we have been digging out over the last few weekends go up in flames.  Satisfying and wariming as the day turned cold.

It is slow going becuase the whole plot is covered but got some onion sets in today (my first babies are in!!) in first bed and the bigger potato bed is on its way.  Yeehaaa  ;D

Lushy x
Make mine a large one!

sparklebug

• Not So New ...
Re: The Joy of burning
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 21:55:51 »
well done lushy, those onions will taste delicious when you eat them  :) and i love the smell of a bonfire, it reminds me of my childhood home in the country (I'm now a townie lol)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 21:57:27 by sparklebug »

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 21:59:28 »
Another thing i am going to try this year is soaking the weeds i pull out in a bucket of water until you get soup. We can't have fires after 1st of march, so i thought i'd give this a try, saw Alice do it on gardener's world last year. At least i can feed the plants with the soup.

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 22:08:59 »
Have done this (soaking perenial weeds) - it stinks!! Not sure I will keep doing it - think I will try bagging it up for a year or so.....

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 22:10:46 »
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

lushy86

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 22:12:34 »
Wow flighty bet that felt good!  :)

Lushy x
Make mine a large one!

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 22:12:41 »
Yeah couch goes up a treat doesnt it. Recommend one of these.. my favourite garden toy, much better than a bonfire! S0d putting it into a bucket  ;)

lushy86

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 22:15:59 »
Yeah, got one! old and rusty with no bottom tho not smart like yours lewic  ;D

Lushy x
Make mine a large one!

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 22:18:45 »
It was actually a plot neighbour's bonfire on a very cold day back in January.  It was certainly nice and toasty warm!
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 22:19:19 »
Mine still had the price tag on it in that photo.. its maiden voyage. Looks rather more knackered now!!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 22:22:22 by lewic »

Lottie103

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 22:38:40 »
Totally with you on that one Lushy  ;D. Luckily I managed to have lots of fires over the winter because I just discovered recently we can't have them between March-Nov. I've been looking at the other vastly overgrown plots on our site with sympathy.

Our pile of weed roots is still growing tho & we've still not really dug over much of the plot. Will have to give soaking them a go.
x

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 23:39:19 »
Another thing i am going to try this year is soaking the weeds i pull out in a bucket of water until you get soup. We can't have fires after 1st of march, so i thought i'd give this a try, saw Alice do it on gardener's world last year. At least i can feed the plants with the soup.

We've got a stupid rule like that as well. The fire brigade had to be called out to a couple of allotments during the drought three summers ago. So instead of bringing in a rule allowing them to enforce a temporary ban on fires during drought conditions, which we'd all have supported, they banned them for six months out of the year. Result is, everyone ignores the rule, and there are going to be problems again in the next drought.

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 07:27:37 »
I love bonfires too - except when people start burning bits of plastic, which some anti-social people on our site have been doing lately. We also have Council rules about bonfires that defy logic and are impossibly complicated:

November-April: Any time (except before 1 pm on Sundays)
May-June: No bonfires at all
July-September: first Wednesday in the month only
October: after 4 pm any day.
Keep Calm and Carry On

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 07:44:01 »
I'm IC bonfires for site debris.. eg when we have hedge laying and so on. I always make the big one coincide with bonfire night. Some members aren't very thoughtful and wait for the warmest/driest holiday weather to generate the most complaints...   :-X

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 07:55:07 »
Up until now we have been able to have bonfires from November till March. Next year however bonfires are only going to be allowed during the month of November. I do like to see a bonfire but now that I have breathing probs they have become a nuisance cos we have to leave the plot if anyone close by or in the wrong wind direction starts a fire and as hopalong said some folks burn plastic and the fumes from that wouldn't help a healthy person. We have booked a holiday for 3 weeks in November so it's all worked out ok.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Twoflower

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 09:32:33 »
I love bonfires too - except when people start burning bits of plastic, which some anti-social people on our site have been doing lately. We also have Council rules about bonfires that defy logic and are impossibly complicated:

November-April: Any time (except before 1 pm on Sundays)
May-June: No bonfires at all
July-September: first Wednesday in the month only
October: after 4 pm any day.

What happens  before 1pm on a sunday? 

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 09:35:33 »
I think you'll find it's called a "religious" covenant... not doing things that clash with divine service.  :)

Twoflower

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 09:38:20 »
I think you'll find it's called a "religious" covenant... not doing things that clash with divine service.  :)

There you go and i thought it was about waking people up.

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 09:55:31 »
I thought it was about not choking all the people who are NOT at divine service but are working on their allotments instead!
Keep Calm and Carry On

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 09:56:24 »
 ;D  ;D  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal