Author Topic: The Joy of burning  (Read 4968 times)

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
Re: The Joy of burning
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2009, 10:18:23 »
Some members aren't very thoughtful and wait for the warmest/driest holiday weather to generate the most complaints...   :-X

Thats why we are not allowed bonfires anymore.Not very good when its time to cut the hawthorne hedges.....ever tried bagging that stuff up!  :(
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2009, 11:30:36 »
No bonfires anytime for us. :(

It is a pain.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 12:13:46 »
There used to be a rule on my site that you couldn't have a plot unless you went to church. Fortunately it fell by the wayside way back.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2009, 12:22:46 »
I love a good bonfire.  We have to be careful of which way the wind blows so not to annoy neighbouring houses, also I avoid Sunday mornings as football matches are played on the adjacent playing fields.  Think bonfires have to finish by end of this month, otherwise a fine.  I am a bit of a coward so wait until 2 or 3 people have bonfires before I light mine.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2009, 16:46:29 »
I have been of my site for four years and never had a bonfire others do but as Borlotti says our rules say respect the neighbours especially when the wind is blowing towards the houses, some light them and get very smokey because they burn greenery or the heaps are too damp, we have a skip once a year and I recycle all my plantage so have no need to burn.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2009, 16:55:03 »
I too find burning dried bindweed roots very satistfying! We are not allowed fires May-Sep or any fires on any Sunday. We live in a clean air zone and there is much paranoia about complaints leading to £1000 fines. You are liable for any fines yourself. Since we have been clearing a new plot over winter we have had quite a few fires. I have put broken dry wood (old pallets etc) in so the fire gets really hot, which means that it is burning fast and seems to reduce smoke. Burning anything wet isn't really fair on the neighbours as it is far too smokey.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2009, 17:26:29 »
Our Council skip is coming on 24 April so can get rid of all the old rubbish I cannot burn.  I agree, have burnt dry stuff and when it got hot put some damp stuff on and the smoke was appalling.  I always make sure the fire is out with water or covered with earth before I go home or else have nightmares about causing the whole allotment site to burn, in the dry weather.  It is better to have one central fire that gets very, very hot and then anything will burn and not give out too much smoke.  Luckily most of the stuff will rot down eventually, but my poor brussel sprouts, which had no sprouts or had bolted have very thick stems.  I am quite pleased with Enfield Council and they do deliver compost and cut the grass around the allotments, and even cut the trees down when they get too high.  Sometimes, if we are really lucky, we get wood chip although one has to be quick.  It is amazing how quickly the compost mountain disappears, as everyone is busy with wheelbarrows.

Crypto

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2009, 16:34:14 »
My first post and it's a moan....sorry  :-[

I have one bonfire a year and that's in November.  The rest of the time I compost or take diseased material to the tip.

My house backs on to the allotment and I am sick and tired of stinking bonfires as soon as it's a nice day and I want to sit in my garden.  Main gripe is coming home after a day out and finding the house stinking of smoke because I've left the windows open and the washing on the line has to be re-done.

The worst offenders are those wretched incinerators, a galvanised bin with a lid and a chimney on top.  They can go on smoldering for days.  The ignorant bloke that lights this one only ever puts green weeds in so it goes on for ever......well it used to.  I now go over the allotments and extinguish his wretched bin.
If it goes on much longer his bin may well disappear from the plot. 

The council rules are that bonfires should not be left unattended.  They should not be lit if there are people in adjacent gardens or the houses have their windows open.  Of course the selfish bloke two plots up from me ignores all of the rules.

There is no need for a bonfire.  :-X :-X :-X

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2009, 17:08:32 »
And to think that I always wanted a house that backed on to my allotment. Glad now that I dont have one.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2009, 17:31:08 »
Welcome to the site Crypto... our house backs onto the lotties and it can be a real pain with the smoke issue... a good day and they turn up trim and burn, no drying out and then wonder why I go nuts... it's a good day there will be people and washing out...  ::)

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2009, 17:40:50 »
Bonfires are totally banned on our site now.  Initially there was a rule 'no bonfires on Sunday or Monday' and you must not leave them unattended, but it was frequently broken, then 'no bonfires between 1 April and 31 October' but again people ignored this so its now 'no bonfires'.  We do have a shredder (a large one) which is used to shred most material which would otherwise have been put on a bonfire - we have a bay for material for shredding and people are supposed (but don't) tell our field manager if they want to put material for shredding here, also if people have a lot of material for shredding, the shredder is taken to their plot.  We also have two skips a year, one each end of our site.    It mostly works well, except we appear to have one plot holder (or maybe more) who puts material in the shredding bay which doesn't come from the allotments, and we suspect he (they) do gardening work for people and bring the rubbish to us for shredding.  But we're watching out for them!

We have houses the whole length of our long thin narrow site and bonfires really caused a nuisance to the occupiers - and also to other plot holders.

lushy86

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2009, 22:55:44 »
When I had my bonfire it was late in the evening just before dusk on a cold day, I burned dry perennial weeds and would not dream of doing it during the day or on a day when people are likely to be in their gardens.  To my knowledge there is no set up for shredding or a skip for waste.  When I asked someone where people put unwanted green waste they told me people often dump it on untended plots.  This seems a terrible thing to do and will not help the fight against the couch invasion.

Having read the posts I am not sure what the right thing to do is now!  ??? ???

Lushy x
Make mine a large one!

Crypto

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2009, 18:15:13 »
Well, I've crept back here after 24 hours expecting to be shot down in flames and am pleasantly surprised by the general views.  Thanks for not shooting me down.  Some forums to which I subscribe are all to keen to demolish a new person with unpopular views.

I confine my pyromaniac urges to barbeques which most blokes like, combined with a can of beer, but I always let my neighbours know if they have washing out.

too wet for fires anyway today, was hoping to get some spuds out this weekend.  :-[

The joys of gardening..../.... :P

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2009, 18:29:02 »
We tried to have a bonfire on a plot we were clearing, but it wouldn't burn.

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2009, 18:34:16 »
Managed to get a good blaze going this morning before the rain set in.  Very satisfying! The OH thinks it's the caveman instinct coming out.
Keep Calm and Carry On

amphibian

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2009, 06:56:01 »
Brambles go up like nothing else on earth. A few years a go I stuffed a heap of brambles into a barrel to burn, soon after I had 12' purple flames and the heat was  so ferocious the grass caught fire, I could barely get close enough to stamp it out, the heat was unbelievable. A plastic bin several metres away melted sufficiently that the water inside started leaking out.

Be careful kids.

hello

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2009, 07:07:42 »
Hi Lushy,

Would love to hear from you! swop gardening tips.
Finding it impossible to send messages on here can email though.
I'm James 38yrs work as a professional gardener 20yrs at local college.
Often grow seeds & cuttings at work to bring home for my garden.
Make my day please James

{email removed by mod}

Cheers james
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 10:32:52 by ImpressiveMarrow »

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2009, 21:11:05 »
I remember reading my great grandads memoirs about his joy of lighting fires. He wrote about starting a small fire in his bakers shop down in London and then falling asleep.

I think it was somewhere in Pudding Lane.

lushy86

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2009, 21:19:23 »
Wow sawfish you must be really really old if it was your great grandad  :P  ;D ;D ;D

By the way do any of you know who this James is? I see that he has posted on several other threads trying to 'meet' women - not sure I like it  :(

Lushy x
Make mine a large one!

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2009, 18:55:05 »
maybe he thinks it the 'a lot men for all' website?

;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal